My wife started tying flies...

raftman wrote:

Today, for my birthday, she gave me a tin full of flies she tied. I may be biased, but they look pretty darn good for a beginner! I'm a bit afraid to fish with them for fear of losing them.

-Michael
I suggest she ties another set and put those to the side for keep sake. If she gets serious about tying years down the road she will love having the first flies she tied. She's done a fine job at it too.

Be an old romantic and Load the flies up and go fishing to show her how thankful and appreciative you are.

poopdeck wrote:
Be an old romantic and Load the flies up and go fishing to show her how thankful and appreciative you are.

This reminded me of what I did when my Grand-kids wanted to sit on my lap and tie flies.

After we finished, I set the flies aside, Printed photos Joy had taken of each of them tying and found some frames that would hold the photo and the fly, both.

Next time we were in Detroit to see them I handed them the photos and listened to my Grandson, Chris, as he ran to show his parents the "Fish-Cotcher" he made with Poppa! :)

Doing a photo of her at the bench and matching it with one of her ties might make a nice remembrance. Just a suggestion.

That is a great suggestion! And then take the rest fishing.

Great suggestions! She really wants me to fish with them to see if "they work" (so she knows what to "improve" on, etc), so I think I'll keep a few aside for something like you suggested and take the rest to the water. This is her way of connecting to fly fishing with me, so I think it's important for me to try my hardest to catch some trout with her flies ;-)

I know this is a bit off topic, but she also made me a pretty sweet fishing lanyard... she's a great woman!

20141230_095800_zpsdffcf15a.jpg

Dude you hit the lottery!

Some may say " don't", but I think she may need a fly rod. Unless she's tying for you to give you something to fish with and get out of the house. That can be a good thing for both of you.

Unless she's tying for you to give you something to fish with and get out of the house. That can be a good thing for both of you.

Hahaha. Very good point...... this may be her ultimate goal. :)

Get her into rod making, boat building and rowing, and you'll be all set.

Get her into rod making, boat building and rowing, and you'll be all set.

Exactly... then we can open our own outfitters... Pies & Flies.. home made flies, pies, lanyards, rods, etc.

Back