My wife started tying flies...

raftman

raftman

... and she's actually pretty good at it. When I asked her why she started tying, she responded by saying "I can't really connect with the whole being on the water and catching fish thing, but I can get into the art and craft of the flies...". She has a lot of practice with sewing and crocheting so she is naturally transferring those skills to flies. She loves the "art" of the fly and the layering of pieces and precise movements needed.

Other than being completing blown away by how lucky I am, I'm also wondering how I can further support this habit. I've already caught some brookies on a few of her greenie weenies (the first fly she taught herself) and am buying her a better vice for Christmas (something she explicitly asked for).

I don't tie and don't want to make it sound like I'm buying gifts for myself :), but I'd like to support this venture as much as possible. She's signed up to take classes in January and I'm wondering if there are any packages of materials I could buy her for Xmas. Materials seem to be her biggest need. She's focused on the flies I use the most (so awesome) - things like Pheasant Tails, Hare's Ears, Princes, etc. Any recommendations for gift ideas for her?

Also.... we watched the documentary called Kiss the Water about Meghan Boyd - a woman who tied amazing salmon flies - which got my wife really excited about tying.

Here's a photo of the first fish I caught on one of her flies...

10801590_10154902529370195_6654419858319678514_n_zps3049fe93.jpg

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't want to sound like an expert because I'm a beginner still. But some of my first flies were elk hair caddis, comparadun, grand hopper, wooly buggers. They are all pretty easy with a little practice. The hoppers and buggers will catch so many different fish too. I've caught like 10 different species on them this year.

Raftman

You're a lucky guy.

I'd buy materials tied (pun unintentional) to the flies you use most, then follow up with the gift certificate. Also consider a book on tying. I have Charlie Craven's "Basic Fly Tying" and find it a decent reference. Good step by step photos and material lists.

Awesome suggestions! Thanks guys. I'm going to definitely get the gift certificate and look into that book.
Thanks again!

Why not find her a book written by a famous female fly tier, since that was the inspirtation?

Carrie Stevens, Helen Shaw, Marie Orivs Maybury, etc.

Let her inspire herself.

Why not find her a book written by a famous female fly tier, since that was the inspirtation?

Carrie Stevens, Helen Shaw, Marie Orivs Maybury, etc.

Let her inspire herself.

Great idea! I didn't know these were out there... I knew there were other female fly tiers, but didn't know their names.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Ah, the Carrie Stevens book will be perfect for our upcoming trip to Maine and Nova Scotia...

In addition to fly tying material she deserves something special for Christmas. Something that she is not expecting, something to unchain her inner creativeness, something that will make her say "my man is the best, he totally understands me." I would suggest a nice rod wrapping jig.

Hahaha. Yeah...maybe in a few years. Don't want to push my luck :)

raftman wrote:
Great idea! I didn't know these were out there... I knew there were other female fly tiers, but didn't know their names.

There's more than that, but those were the three that immediately came to mind.

Since she's inspired by a full dress salmon fly tier, giving her books written by women who were known for their classic, garish, wetfly attractors is a way to open her interests to things that are more relevant to your interests, as well as a lower amount of start up costs if she chooses to try and emulate them.

I seem to remember Shaw's Flies for Fish and Fishermen took a simple approach that took you across multiple styles from simple to more ornate, and would allow encouragment in freedom of expression in not only aping her listed patterns, but allowing some experimentation.

You also don't need to worry about robbing an orthilogical museum to get started.

Hare line, the dubbing Co. used to package all their colors in one box, enough for a lifetime of tying. I bought this package years ago when I started tying and have barely put a dent in it.

http://hareline.com/dubbing.html

Uni thread also has packages.

http://www.uniproducts.com/eng/index.asp

Thanks again for all these great suggestions. Your responses to this post (and pms) have really made me grateful for being a part of this community. You guys/gals rock! I'll be sure to post some photos of her creations as she goes through he process.

Back before Dan Baileys decided to go with really cheap offshore labor I use to enjoy going into their shop and watch all the ladies sitting around a big table tying flies-they seemed to be really enjoying themselves-so if you can talk your spouse into encouraging some of her gal pals into taking up the hobby you and your buddies would be set up pretty good.
Very lucky as is-enjoyed this post.

That is awesome your wife took up tying and is showing interest. Especially if you don't tie flies.

Gfen's recommendations of female authors sounded good to me. I can only recommend a book with a lot of classic American fly recipes, "Trout Flies" by Eric Liesure. I use it a lot looking up patterns. But my copy was given to me by my elderly neighbor, who took me fly fishing as a kid during the summers, when he could no longer fish or tie flies. So it's probably nostalgic value more than actual value to my tying.

I would second the gift certificates. Tying is hands on and very individual. I like to have material, and tools, in my hand to tell the quality and color based on what I'm tying. Example - just yesterday I took 12 hare's masks off the shelf until I found the color I prefer.

I wanted to give an update... my wife loves those books that were recommended to her (especially the one about Rangely Maine) and the DVDs that were graciously mailed to me. You guys rock!

Today, for my birthday, she gave me a tin full of flies she tied. I may be biased, but they look pretty darn good for a beginner! I'm a bit afraid to fish with them for fear of losing them :)

10801561_10155036928435195_1819736787476116262_n_zps679839ab.jpg

Thanks again for all your suggestions and support.

-Michael

Nice! That's really cool! I suggest fishing with them, I think you'll be glad you did.

Nice looking flies!

Now think about getting her a Kindle Fire or a lower priced tablet that she can keep handy when tying your next set. Lot of good videos out there to help when the books just aren't enough!

Those flies will fish well.

djs12354 wrote:
Nice looking flies!

Now think about getting her a Kindle Fire or a lower priced tablet that she can keep handy when tying your next set. Lot of good videos out there to help when the books just aren't enough!

The man is right, as usual. You Tube is your friend.

Back