My Small Stream Kit

jeffroey

jeffroey

I've been planning my next small stream walk-in - a pretty aggressive 6+ mile out & back with limited opportunity to get out sideways, about 900 ft of elevation gain, and completely off the grid.

I took a little time tonight to inventory and weigh my bag and I thought I'd share with you what I stuff into (and hang off of) a 22L backpack when I make a solo trip like the one I'll be making at the end of this week.

Before getting started, please understand: I'm not saying my approach is the right one - it's just how I prepare. I hope this thread starts a bunch of constructive conversation about what you do and don't put in your small stream bags. So let's have it - what do you do?

TOTAL PACK: 156.4 oz (~9-3/4 lbs)

20230513 230647

SAFETY/EMERGENCY (33.6 oz)
  • Standard First Aid kit
  • Matches & fire starters
  • Emergency blanket
  • Pocket knife
  • Compass
  • Glow sticks & Sharpie
  • Head lamp
  • Satellite messenger
BACKUP/REPAIR (11.7 oz)
  • 2x BOA replacement laces
  • Gear Aid Tenacious Tape Flex Patches
  • Portable USB fast charger, charging cable & USB light
  • 3x AAA batteries
  • Electrical shrink wrap sections (for fly line repair 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 mm)
FLIES/BOXES (22.8 oz)
  • Assorted flies - I mostly like using Altoids containers with 3D-printed dividers. I carry a lot.
CONVENIENCE (23.1 oz)
  • Wading Jacket
  • Mobile phone tripod & remote shutter
  • Sunglasses
  • Bio wipes
STANDARD DAY USE FLY GEAR (20.9 oz)
  • Spare leaders & tippet spools
  • Sunscreen & bug spray
  • Shot, top ride & indicators
  • Net
  • Digital thermometer
BAG & QUICK-REACH ITEMS (44.3 oz)
  • Backpack & water bottle
  • Tippet & floatant
  • Foreceps & nippers
  • Fly patch
20230513 22470320230514 00435120230514 00333920230514 00365420230514 00412120230514 004610

I don’t take much stuff but if I was taking that kinda stuff- add a whistle, hoagie and water.

I would skip the net. Assuming you wear waders, that will be a long hike in them. Good luck. Sounds like an all day adventure. Depending on terrain I would find a stick and use it as a wading staff in there.

I do a lot of lightweight backpacking, or at least I used to, and weight carried, or lack thereof, really matters to an enjoyable hike. You also realize what is essential and what isn't and find things that can do double or triple. If this is only a 6 mile trip in PA d this time of year you don't need half of this stuff.

You're total pack weight isn't bad for an all day adventure but you don't need the majority of what you're taking. Even in an emergency situation. Less stuff is easier to manage and leads to a better time in my opinion.

I'd take some Aquamira and a regular smart water bottle or something, though.

Things I think you could lose. Fly line repair, tenacious tape, all the extra batteries/chargers, the satellite messenger, the compass, either the matches OR the firestarter, the thermometer, and the emergency blanket.

I'd add a wool shirt or fleece and a couple Vaseline cotton balls.

Good list, thanks for sharing. One thing I’d add would be a few wraps of duct tape around your water bottle. Was a trick I picked up from a backpacker/fisherman that has really come in handy. From band aids to repair material to blister preventer, has been a big help.

I also like to carry a nanopuff since it packs down but just something I like to have at all times.

Vaseline cotton balls are a good idea too. I have a 2 little fire starters that I keep with me but the Vaseline cotton balls are good and more versatile.

@jifigz what do you carry them in?

I'd add some high energy bars, trail mix and water bottle. Don't forget to let someone know your itinerary and when you expect to return.
Have fun!

Good list, thanks for sharing. One thing I’d add would be a few wraps of duct tape around your water bottle. Was a trick I picked up from a backpacker/fisherman that has really come in handy. From band aids to repair material to blister preventer, has been a big help.

I also like to carry a nanopuff since it packs down but just something I like to have at all times.

Vaseline cotton balls are a good idea too. I have a 2 little fire starters that I keep with me but the Vaseline cotton balls are good and more versatile.

@jifigz what do you carry them in?
Just a ziplock baggie .

Good feedback so far. Thx. The backpack has a whistle integrated into one of the buckles. I always have spare ziplocks stuffed inside. Trail snacks, a wawa hoagie, and water are standard gear not in the weight.

Don't forget a snack. Is there something in your first aid kit for snake bites?

I do a lot of lightweight backpacking, or at least I used to, and weight carried, or lack thereof, really matters to an enjoyable hike. You also realize what is essential and what isn't and find things that can do double or triple. If this is only a 6 mile trip in PA d this time of year you don't need half of this stuff.

You're total pack weight isn't bad for an all day adventure but you don't need the majority of what you're taking. Even in an emergency situation. Less stuff is easier to manage and leads to a better time in my opinion.

I'd take some Aquamira and a regular smart water bottle or something, though.

Things I think you could lose. Fly line repair, tenacious tape, all the extra batteries/chargers, the satellite messenger, the compass, either the matches OR the firestarter, the thermometer, and the emergency blanket.

I'd add a wool shirt or fleece and a couple Vaseline cotton balls.
Curious about one thing here - vaseline cotton balls?

Don't forget a snack. Is there something in your first aid kit for snake bites?
Often thought about a pair of rattlesnake gaiters for the summer. I do spend a good bit of time wet wading in/around RS territory: NEPA and the Lehigh Gorge mostly.

Everything I've ever read about snakebite kits are they're generally considered useless and a waste of money and space.

Often thought about a pair of rattlesnake gaiters for the summer. I do spend a good bit of time wet wading in/around RS territory: NEPA and the Lehigh Gorge mostly.

Everything I've ever read about snakebite kits are they're generally considered useless and a waste of money and space.

Get the snake gaiters. The most used FFing item I’ve ever bought, and probably the item I’ve gotten the most use per dollar spent out of all my FFing gear. Mine are going on 12 years old and have probably lived through 10 pairs of waders in that time. I’ve been within one step of a rattlesnake numerous times before I realized it. I appreciate them most in Summer when the forest floor is covered in ferns and you can’t always see where you’re putting your feet.

I do a lot of this kind of fishing, and I bet I know where you’re heading just from the description. One of two places anyway. My pack setup is similar to yours. Way more similar than dissimilar. I carry less flies, just one box of general attractors is all I find I need for this fishing, and I don’t carry a net. Though I would consider carrying something like you have there, and have a fishing buddy who has one like that.

Other than the gaiters (which admittedly don’t go in your pack), the other big item I’d suggest adding is some method of water purification (micro filter system or chemical) just in case you unexpectedly burn through your water too fast, or have to spend an emergency night in the woods. I’ve been dehydrated far too many times getting back to the car after all day Summer remote outings.

Just curious, what is your rod & reel? Also , general area of Pa(NE,NC)?

I have a kit but haven't been unlucky enough yet to see if it is worth the space. I wear Lacrosse snake boots or gaiters. on even short hikes to and from the crick.

Yeah I have a backpacking kit, always have a water filter with me as well... that's probably the most critical item.

Snake bite kits are worthless. Timber rattlers are very docile critters usually. I've had lots of encounters with them up close and personal. They really, really can blend in. I've never owned or used snake gaiters but I bet they're a good idea. I've nearly stepped on rattlers a few times in my life.

Swattie is right on water purification. I wouldn't carry any water except one 1 liter bottle. Not a nalgene, not a metal bottle, just a regular soda or smart water bottle. One liter of water only at a time and then plan on drinking creek water. Aquamira or a filter. I like my old Katadyn Hiker but it's heavy. Aquamira weighs nothing.

Water is too heavy to carry much of.

Just curious, what is your rod & reel? Also , general area of Pa(NE,NC)?
This year I've been moving from shorter glass to a bit longer, faster carbon,. Even on shorter streams I'm fishing 8-1/2' 4 &5 WTs. In the pix I have a Taylor Dynamix 486 strapped to my bag - a rod I've been using all year and absolutely love. Usually pair with an Okuma SLV reel.

I live in SEPA (Delaware County). This week I'll be fishing in Area 4.

nice topic. i do a few hike in fishing trips a year. one of which is in the winter so i pack a pocket stove so i can warm up a mountain house meal on a cold day. i also carry a water filtration straw because packing water gets heavy. nothing like a hot meal on a cold day. enjoy your trip and be safe
KIMG1310

KIMG1311

KIMG1312

Back