My next rod?

P

pmelle

I've fished with my 9 ft 5 wt orvis Clearwater for the last year, and it's Ben a great rod. But I'd like to add another rod to the arsenal and I want to go with a 10 ft but I'm undecided in what size. Im going back and forth between a 4 wt and a 7 wt. I'd like to use it for nymphing but I want to be able to throw some meat with it also. I enjoy fishing larger water, and the bigger rod will give me that leg up I'm thinking. I know I could be asking for too many things here, which is probably true. I was looking at the TFO lefty keep series, (right in my price range). However I have found anywhere I can cast one, and I'm hesitant to drop the cash on something I haven't cast first. Look forward to the input, thanks!

yo pme

You're not far from Lansdale, where Bob Selb runs The Classic Flyfisherman. In among his fantastic bamboo trophy rods are some TFOs. You can check them out there.

Based on your words I'd go for the 7wt. Your current rod will nymph, but it won't throw meat.

A 7wt would serve as a good streamer rod, as well as the perfect weight for fishing big water smallies, which is a blast.

Back