My new "old school" set up! Orvis SF Glass 4wt with DT line on a CFO Reel...

Pghtrouthunter

Pghtrouthunter

Im psyched that I managed to snag a 7'6" 4 wt. Orvis Superfine Glass with a CFO reel and Hydros DT line.

I was trying to go throwback on this set up and get something fairy light and slow action for spring creek and small stream fishing. I am headed to Montana later this month and will be spending a couple of days on Nelson's, Dupuy's and Armstrong spring creeks. I think this baby fits the bill nicely.

Review:

The rod has a great finish. Cork cigar grip with a cork seat and a nickle lock. Typical Orvis quality. The new CFO reels now made by Abel in CA are simply awesome. Purrs like a cat and looks amazing. Total click and pawl magic.

As far as casting, it is definitely slower action than what I am used to (Hardy Zenith and Helios 2). From 10-30 feet it is a laser and puts the fly on point. Because I went DT for the line things get a little funky for me after 30 feet. The slow action and the DT line are harder for me to control on the back cast as you have to be extremely patient for it to load. Thats not what I bought it for and I have other rods to meet that distance, but for its sweet spot I am extremely happy. I think it makes it easier to cast as you can really feel the load all the way on the backcast which in turn makes a sweet loop on the forward cast.

Id highly recommend this rod for someone thinking about a glass rod. Its not too noodly and I think its a true gem from Orvis. Especially for a sub 400 rod.

4.5 out of 5 stars (I think an 8 ft., 4 wt, would be compelling)....

Back