My New Czech Nymph Rod

unforgiven

unforgiven

Just wanted to show-off the nymphing rod I just finished. It's a very lightweight 10' carbon fiber blank (cranberry), with cranberry and gold silk wraps, Snake Brand Guides, Fuji Ceramic stripping guide, solid black ash burl reel seat and grip with nickel silver hardware. I really like building rods for myself. I can't wait to fish it tomorrow :-D

Attachments

• DSCF0266.JPG
    DSCF0266.JPG
    789.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0267.JPG
    DSCF0267.JPG
    611.5 KB · Views: 5
Dude, that's a beautiful rod. Makes me want to get into building them.

Consider me impressed. I don't want to think of the hack job I would do if I tried to match that.

If that fishes as good as it looks you're in for some good times. Nice job. Let us know what you think of it.

Nice work. Enjoy the new rod. Best of luck with the new rod.

Thanks a lot for the compliments, guys!! I forgot I was scheduled to take my nephews fishing today, so I haven't had time to fish her yet - argh!!! I hope to tonight.

Very nice looking rod. Like the look of the reel seat. Is the handle wood as well?

Very nice. Where did you get the blank for a CZ rod? i would like to make one of those too.

Hey, guys, I'd like to answer some of your questions.

1. Yes, the handle is made from black ash burl.
2. I bid on the blank on the old ebay machine. I paid about
$25 for it. It's an IM6 graphite blank.

I did some nymphing with the set-up on Sunday and I was very pleased, to say the least. I had never used a rod longer than my 9' Hardy Marksman. The extra foot really comes in handy with keeping the line off the water. The wood handle seemed to transmit a take better than the cork I'm used to. The wood handle was a tad heavier, but it balances the 10' rod quite nicely. I was surprised with how well the rod roll casts, too. All-in-all I'm a happy camper. I just ordered a 11' nymph rod, so we'll see how that one goes. I really dig making these things!!!

Back