My heart just isn’t in it anymore...

Man, I wish I could reach that level of trout fishing zen, unfortunately I live too far from the trout. Somewhere I read something about “The 7 Stages of Fishing”, it goes something like this-

Stage 1-You just want to catch a fish
Stage 2-You want to catch LOTS of fish
Stage 3-You want to catch particular species
Stage 4-You want to catch the BIGGEST fish
Stage 5-You want to catch fish the way you want to fish
Stage 6-
Stage 7-You just enjoy being in the presence of fish

While I’ve flyfished for about 30yrs now, I only get 10-20 days on the river each year. Due to my infrequent visits I do nymph a lot. In fact last year I tightened exclusively. It is what it is... I can count on one hand probably, the number of really fishable hatches that I have witnessed. The last one was the sulphuric hatch on Spring, 2 years ago. It was a day I’ll always remember, fishing dries and catching on 6 back to back casts. I walked out of the gorge with a gentleman, back to the cars, who cursed nymph fisherman, claiming dry flies were the only TRUE FLY FISHING. I smiled and nodded, but I silently disagreed. He obviously had beef with someone on the creek that day and needed to let off some steam. To live close enough to a stream that has loads of trout, and abundant fishable hatches, enables one to develope that attitude. Those perfect circumstances of location, habitat, free time, and opportunity are things I hope one day to have so I too can reach that level of ruination with trout.
As a counter balance, I live about 5 miles from excellent saltwater fishing. The mentality in saltwater can be quite different. There are times when certain fish just aren’t there or are only accessible for a brief time. The best way I can think of putting it is- The seasonality of saltwater fish does a good job of always keeping it fresh. It does however make it difficult to reach that I just want to be out there mentality, knowing you only have a few weeks each year to catch a certain fish.

I get it, sort of. variety is the spice of life. For me, enjoyment in trout fishing is through moderation while also fishing for other species. I would not fish if not for the ever changing seasons and the myriad of other fishing opportunities available in both salt and freshwater throughout the year. Sitting on the bank doing nothing is not for me. I can connect with nature swinging in my hammock in the backyard for a lot less time, effort and money.

After about 30 years of flyfishing, for me, it's simply about being on the water. Doesn't much matter to me whether I'm throwing a hopper+dropper on a big river, 18 BWOs on a small wild stream, dredging deep pools with 4lbs of shot or ripping 3inch streamers in high water.

I will say, however, that nymphing & streamers are appealing to me because of the unknown. Both in what lies beneath, and in what they're eating. I guess I'm a bit of the opposite in terms of dry flies. It's almost too easy. You can see what they're eating and even the exact spot they're eating at. Match the hatch, make the cast, catch the fish. I love hooking up with something and not knowing what it is until you wrestle it to the surface.

Narly, I think#7 on your list is actually #6. #7 is you want to give back to the sport

I bought a dozen or so mice in various sizes - and am looking forward to some Bass fishing soon.

silverfox wrote:
After about 30 years of flyfishing, for me, it's simply about being on the water. Doesn't much matter to me whether I'm throwing a hopper+dropper on a big river, 18 BWOs on a small wild stream, dredging deep pools with 4lbs of shot or ripping 3inch streamers in high water.

I will say, however, that nymphing & streamers are appealing to me because of the unknown. Both in what lies beneath, and in what they're eating. I guess I'm a bit of the opposite in terms of dry flies. It's almost too easy. You can see what they're eating and even the exact spot they're eating at. Match the hatch, make the cast, catch the fish. I love hooking up with something and not knowing what it is until you wrestle it to the surface.

I would agree that fishing to rising trout is easier than dredging.

However, timing the hatches isn't always a cakewalk

Last night I got out with my Superfine Glass Fly Rod and caught my first 4 trout on it within an hour. The trout were rising all around which is such a cool sight. However all of them took to a Red Copper John Nymph.

I'm 65 but happy I'm still alive, so fly fish when I can even if it is only on my local and somewhat marginal streams. Sometimes it is just a couple hours here and there and as a result I don't usually see a lot of great hatches. Maybe it is my inner child but I still love when I'm short lining some tricky pockets and my line hesitates and just like magic there is a flash and a wiggling trout on the end. Hope I never lose that feeling, and yes I'll gladly put on a dry for a good hatch; Sulphers being my sentimental favorite. Being out and about still rules so enjoy it while you can!

I feel your pain Dave, I am moving toward that. But as you know I will not hesitate too long before nymphing them up.

GG how about Georgia

Back