My first year of fly fishing

P

pmelle

I've always wanted to learn to fly fish. I'm not quite sure what it was about the sport, but I knew I always wanted to get into it and more so develope a passion for it. Last winter I was searching for a way into the sport and found PAFlyFish. it wasn't long after that, that I went to the newbie jam March of last year with every piece of fly gear I had to learn what I could. I was fortunate enough to have met GenCon and JTyger55, also known as Mike and Tyger who taught me to tie flies that day, took me to the little Lehigh and have taught more or less everything I've wanted to know so far. These two guys taught me to cast, read water, tie flies, showed me some of their "secret spots" and the list goes on.

They've been great friends and great teachers both on and off the water. I'm out nearly every weekend on the water and during the week when it permits. My first year of fly fishing has been very enjoyable, thanks in large part two these two guys. I'm looking forward to the spring jam this year and fishing the best of what PA has to offer. This site has been an excellent tool and I commend the moderators for it.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're hooked. Fly-fishing is really a life-long learning process and also is, as McManus wrote, a pleasant form of misery.

Welcome.

Pete! You're becoming a monster, keep it up.

Wait til year 2 my friend...

Pmelle,
What a nice thread - glad to hear that you're hooked and kudos to GC and Tyger. They're well known around here as top shelf fellows.

Your second year will be better still.

You had help from two of the best. Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your first year and hope you have many more to come. Make it to as many gatherings as you can. You'll meet some good people and learn some new techniques. Lots of seasoned anglers on here willing to share which is a great thing.

Tyger,
Nice job paying it forward!!

Thanks Pete, glad we could be a part of your journey. But there is still much to learn grasshopper. Like how to get out of my spot when you see me coming. LOL

GenCon

This year will be my third. Similar to you, I had wanted to do it for the longest time, but I couldn't afford a rod. I finally got some birthday money and bought a combo and taught myself how to cast. My second year came with about 20 more brook trout and tons of sunnies. Loved it ever since. Welcome to the world of fly fishing!

Back