My first steelhead trip

NewSal

NewSal

So I went fishing for steelhead for the first time yesterday, at Elk, and Walnut creeks in Erie.
I had a good time, was a very interesting experience. Not something I would like to do all the time, the crowds of people are absolutely insane. Some very combative fishing styles need to be utilized to be very successful during these high numbers of fisherman times.
I fished elk creek all morning without so much as a take, was nymphing bright nymphs, sucker spawn, and other egg patterns. Not sure what my problem was, I really have no idea if nymphing for steelhead is different than trout. I was just nymphing like I would for trout, bouncing the patterns off the bottom. Other folks would occasionally catch one once in a while, I was told that the "bite" wasn't very good, and that it was a slow day for erie for everyone.
In the afternoon I fished the famous "Manchester" hole at walnut creek. Was absolutely elbow to elbow. Was able to wiggle my way into a spot, and finally figured the fish out. Hooked up on 3 with a muddler minnow, and 5 more on various color wooly buggers. Didn't land a single one!! :cry: I didn't get good hook sets, and the biggest one of the bunch snapped me off.
Let me tell you, if you haven't fished for steelhead before, they pull like a freakin FREIGHT TRAIN. 0 to 100 real QUICK!
I did the trip with my trout gear, and next time I go Im going to go a little more prepared, using a bit heavier tippet, and a heavier rod.

All in all, it was a good experience. Definatly not something I would do all the time because of the crowds, but its something neat to experience if you've never done it before.

Glad you got a chance to head out. The water levels improved this weekend but without more rain it will be low and slow again.

The trouble with going early in the season is that all the fish are just in a short section of the creek. So that's where all the people are. Once the season progresses then the fish spread out and the people spread out. The mouth of Elk and Walnut are always jam packed with people because there is so much parking and easy access. I never fish there anymore. I fish places with less parking and do some walking and you can find fish without much competition. Go up on November 5th for the JAM with people on here and they will be able to show you around and get you some more skills to land one of the beasts.

Nice report . I have never been steelhead fishing myself but I don't feel I have the right temperament for it . It is on the bucket list for sure just have find a way to beat the crowds .

ryguyfi wrote:
Glad you got a chance to head out. The water levels improved this weekend but without more rain it will be low and slow again.

The trouble with going early in the season is that all the fish are just in a short section of the creek. So that's where all the people are. Once the season progresses then the fish spread out and the people spread out. The mouth of Elk and Walnut are always jam packed with people because there is so much parking and easy access. I never fish there anymore. I fish places with less parking and do some walking and you can find fish without much competition. Go up on November 5th for the JAM with people on here and they will be able to show you around and get you some more skills to land one of the beasts.

We tried to go further upstream to get away from the crowds, but it didn't seam like the fish were up that far yet, walnut was clear and you could sight fish, when we went upstream we didn't see any fish so we didn't fish there, down below at the mouth of walnut you could see a ton of fish, and of course a TON of people. For those of you that have never done it, elbow to elbow is no joke. It is literally elbow to elbow in that area. Your casts are constantly criss crossing with others. You develop timing with the people around you with your casts. It's amazing that with all those people and all those lines and hooks that the fish still get caught. I couldn't believe I hooked up so many times in such a short period of time with SO many people. When you hook up the water EXPLODES. Those fish are so awesomely powerful! Very very cool when you hook into one.

The fish aren't going to be real far upstream at this point. I usually don't bother heading up until mid December and try and get a couple trips in, up into January, before the streams really freeze over. Once it gets cold and the fish spread out, there will be less fishermen and more fish over more water so you can find a lot of runs to yourself.

I have fished Erie tribs for many years. I have found that fishing the mile creeks ,east of Erie, have been much more enjoyable.

When I first fished there, I was using a Lamaglass 9 weight. I lost most of the fish I hooked. I then went to fiberglass and the results improved. Then I went to a 10 foot 7 weight, fast tip using 4X and my success rate increased.

I found that a heavy rod was not the answer, a forgiving rod was.

Try the mile creeks east of Erie, during the week, crowds are usually down, and the experience may be much better. Route 5 provides access to all the creeks.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

IMG_1805.jpg

Here is an example of one of the holes were I hooked up at

Muskyman wrote:
I have fished Erie tribs for many years. I have found that fishing the mile creeks ,east of Erie, have been much more enjoyable.

When I first fished there, I was using a Lamaglass 9 weight. I lost most of the fish I hooked. I then went to fiberglass and the results improved. Then I went to a 10 foot 7 weight, fast tip using 4X and my success rate increased.

I found that a heavy rod was not the answer, a forgiving rod was.

Try the mile creeks east of Erie, during the week, crowds are usually down, and the experience may be much better. Route 5 provides access to all the creeks.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

Honestly, I really don't blame my equipment for my lost fish, everytime I would hook up it was like an instant adrenaline rush, didn't get good hook sets, and when I was playing the fish I was so dang adrenalined up, and nervous about loosing it I was just about shaking!! LOL!! Next time I go, I will know more about what to expect when one of those monsters takes my fly and be more prepared and conscious about getting a good hook set and taking my time landing it. Definitely a new experience for me... even the biggest trout I've ever caught are no comparison to those things.

Unless you enjoy that combat fishing aspect, wait for another big rain event so the fish can move further upstream. The PFBC used to transport some fish upstream as well, after they had used them for their laboratory induced spawning activities. Then, if you walk a bit, you'll at times find you have stretches of stream all to yourself. There are still areas upstream on both Walnut and Elk that tend to congregate anglers, but you'll be able to spot them fairly easily (bridge holes, etc.) and can avoid them if you want. As the fish move, the density of fish in the stream can at times decrease, and there's definitely a correlation between fish density and angler density. The real treats are when you luck out on finding that location with high fish density and no angler density

salmonoid wrote:
Unless you enjoy that combat fishing aspect, wait for another big rain event so the fish can move further upstream. The PFBC used to transport some fish upstream as well, after they had used them for their laboratory induced spawning activities. Then, if you walk a bit, you'll at times find you have stretches of stream all to yourself. There are still areas upstream on both Walnut and Elk that tend to congregate anglers, but you'll be able to spot them fairly easily (bridge holes, etc.) and can avoid them if you want. As the fish move, the density of fish in the stream can at times decrease, and there's definitely a correlation between fish density and angler density. The real treats are when you luck out on finding that location with high fish density and no angler density

Absolutely do not enjoy the combat fishing. Was very frustrating to say the least. Did not enjoy that at all. My perspective was that I would not ever do that again to have a good time fishing, the sole purpose of that was to catch fish. The actually fishing honestly wasn't enjoyable due to the crowds. The hooking up of fish was the only enjoyable part honestly.

The problem is, I don't get the opportunity to travel almost 3 hours to fish very often, so I had to take the opportunity to go when I could. If I could go later on in the year, and enjoy a more peaceful fishing experience I most definitely will, but that's not guaranteed.

Do you guys strip strike your steelies to the side ? The guide I was with out west last April recommended it. He also tyes his flyes on off center hooks.

geebee wrote:
Do you guys strip strike your steelies to the side ? The guide I was with out west last April recommended it. He also tyes his flyes on off center hooks.

I would imagine that would of been a great thing for me to do, especially sense I was stripping streamer style flies. Just got to caught up in the moments

Ok, on Walnut, there's an obstruction at the "chutes". Takes a real gully washer to allow fish to get above that, and a few such events to get many up there. Walnut drops fast and the door is typically open for only 1 night after a rain event. Then no more fish going up till the next gully washer.

Elk is a different ballgame. Bigger water, no real major obstructions, just some riffles. You still need the cold shot of water to turn things on and get them in the running mood, otherwise that game too is all at the mouth. But when they decide to go, they can go. They typically move at night. And a rain event gives you 2 nights of high water on Elk, and really another 2 of moderate flows. In Elk, they can make steady progress even in those moderate flows.

So walking up Walnut and not finding many is not the same as driving miles up Elk and not finding any. It's possible that would have happened too. But not a given.

I'm trying to figure out how far up Elk they are myself, as I'm making a trip this coming weekend.

As for the east side streams, most of them have MAJOR obstructions not all that far upstream, that they never really get past. They are really "at the mouth" games. The nice thing is that most are small and fall really, really fast. If you get there too soon after a major rain event and every thing is blown, often the east side streams will have prime conditions with fresh chrome in them well before any of the bigger west side streams become fishable.

All of Erie is a game of finding the combination of fish, green water, and avoiding the biggest of the crowds. They slam em in one spot while places just a few miles away see tough conditions... Tomorrow the hot spot will be different. That's how it goes.

pcray1231 wrote:
Ok, on Walnut, there's an obstruction at the "chutes". Takes time and a few real gully washers to get respectable numbers of fish above that. So early season it really is about the area down at the mouth.

Most of the east side tribs have even greater obstructions, and they never really get by. The nice thing about the east side tribs, really, is that most of them are small and fall so fast. So if you get there too early after a rain, and the bigger west side tribs are blown, often many guys go home yet some of the east side tribs are prime with fresh fish in those lower reaches.

Elk, though, is bigger water with lesser obstructions to fish movement. No big waterfalls. Just distance. Now, I'm not saying when you were there, there were tons of fish upstream. I dunno. Tryin to figure that out myself as I'm headed up next weekend.

The same thing applies to Elk in that early season is all near the mouth. But I will say fish are typically at least up through Girard and the Legion on Elk before they even make it to rt 5 on Walnut, and it's not at all usual to have them all the way up to Steretania, Rick Rd, and rt. 79, before there's many fish up Walnut.

Thus, walking upstream on Walnut and not finding many is NOT the same thing as driving miles up Elk and not finding any. It's certainly possible that woulda been the case, but not certain. In terms of flow, you can judge another stream in relation to another. In terms of fish movement, you can't.

There are fish at legion on Elk pcray, just not as many. Didn't have as much luck in the morning at elk, and wanted to get into denser populations regardless of people, which turned out in my favor in the end.

There are fish at legion on Elk pcray, just not as many.

Oh, I don't doubt there are. Good info on the how many (but very temporary).

Do note that on Elk, though, not having many in that area doesn't mean there aren't MORE above there. Or less. I honestly don't know. But when they make the initial runs there are "pulses". It's quite possible the big pulse of fish that was waiting to get up, got it's water, and went right on past legion and upwards. Then if the water comes down another pulse gets stuck down low. Leaving little in between.

I don't know that this is the case when you were there, but it does happen with these early runs. It's not just a steady decrease as you go up. These are not stationary fish that fill in another half mile with every rain event. Water temperature, flows, water color, etc. all play a part. But when things happen a whole bunch of them can all go 10 miles in a night at once. I've seen more fish at Folly's than in Girard. I've seen vice versa. I've seen Steretania and the mouth loaded with very little in between.

I only get up once every couple of years anymore but there was a time when I lived closer I fished Erie a lot. Just trying to help you see the whole picture, that's all. Sometimes you spend more time driving than fishing to find what you're looking for.

By late season things have generally evened out more... Initial runs can be funny.

Fished upper elk this morning, grave of muffy and biffy, and then upstream from folly's,(btw, stream is POSTED just below folly's, before the bend, no fishing downstream at folly's anymore. Anyways, no sign of fish anywhere we were, water off color, not too high, and falling fast. Grabbing a burger and beer at avonia and trying closer to lake this afternoon

bikerfish wrote:
Fished upper elk this morning, grave of muffy and biffy, and then upstream from folly's,(btw, stream is POSTED just below folly's, before the bend, no fishing downstream at folly's anymore. Anyways, no sign of fish anywhere we were, water off color, not too high, and falling fast. Grabbing a burger and beer at avonia and trying closer to lake this afternoon

Good luck man! I wish I was still there to be honest, those fish that got away have been haunting me ever sense I left.

I might just make an effort to make plans to go to the jam to meet some of you guys actually. The more I think about it, the more I cant get defeated by a fish like that.. I HAVE to go back and land a few. hahaha!

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
salmonoid wrote:

Absolutely do not enjoy the combat fishing. Was very frustrating to say the least. Did not enjoy that at all. My perspective was that I would not ever do that again to have a good time fishing, the sole purpose of that was to catch fish. The actually fishing honestly wasn't enjoyable due to the crowds. The hooking up of fish was the only enjoyable part honestly.

The problem is, I don't get the opportunity to travel almost 3 hours to fish very often, so I had to take the opportunity to go when I could. If I could go later on in the year, and enjoy a more peaceful fishing experience I most definitely will, but that's not guaranteed.

Your shot of the Manchester Hole looks pretty tame. I've been there when it was three times as full of people; had a couple from WV slip in front of me one time, while I was actively fishing. I bored holes in the back of the wife since she was directly in front of me (hubby was just downstream or he would have gotten the staredown), which earned me the reputation of giving the "Dot Stare". Her name was Dot.

I don't remember where I read it but someone asserted that fish can move five miles in a day when the water is up. On streams like the Lake Erie tribs, you may only have a window of a day when the water is up. When it drops, the fish in essence become trapped. Only one time have I encountered the epitome of this; it was on upper Elk, a few hundred yards below Rick Road. My brother, friend and I were fishing our way downstream and we ran into another angler. He looked at us and just smiled and said enjoy. A few minutes later, we figured out what he was talking about, as we got into a pod of fish that were trapped at the head of a riffle. By pod I mean probably a hundred fish. Below the riffle was a long, mostly featureless shale bottom stretch. Above the riffle was a little bit deeper water in a pool or two. But they were stuck where they were at. I was fishing egg flies and picked up a few fish, but my brother and buddy were fishing night crawlers and hooked dozens of fish.

I definitely understand the limited amount of time to be on the water, and needing to make the most of the time you have. That is one of the reasons I've fished closer to the mouth at times, when I have only a day or so to fish. When I had longer periods of time, that is when I would walk 3-5 miles of stream, and could afford to fish areas with lower fish density, preferring the relative solitude those stream stretches provided.

salmonoid wrote:
Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
salmonoid wrote:

Your shot of the Manchester Hole looks pretty tame. I've been there when it was three times as full of people; had a couple from WV slip in front of me one time, while I was actively fishing. I bored holes in the back of the wife since she was directly in front of me (hubby was just downstream or he would have gotten the staredown), which earned me the reputation of giving the "Dot Stare". Her name was Dot.

I don't remember where I read it but someone asserted that fish can move five miles in a day when the water is up. On streams like the Lake Erie tribs, you may only have a window of a day when the water is up. When it drops, the fish in essence become trapped. Only one time have I encountered the epitome of this; it was on upper Elk, a few hundred yards below Rick Road. My brother, friend and I were fishing our way downstream and we ran into another angler. He looked at us and just smiled and said enjoy. A few minutes later, we figured out what he was talking about, as we got into a pod of fish that were trapped at the head of a riffle. By pod I mean probably a hundred fish. Below the riffle was a long, mostly featureless shale bottom stretch. Above the riffle was a little bit deeper water in a pool or two. But they were stuck where they were at. I was fishing egg flies and picked up a few fish, but my brother and buddy were fishing night crawlers and hooked dozens of fish.

I definitely understand the limited amount of time to be on the water, and needing to make the most of the time you have. That is one of the reasons I've fished closer to the mouth at times, when I have only a day or so to fish. When I had longer periods of time, that is when I would walk 3-5 miles of stream, and could afford to fish areas with lower fish density, preferring the relative solitude those stream stretches provided.

You nailed it pretty much, that picture was taken after I had the opportunity to jump in and fish that hole, it was even more crowded than that at times.
I really do need to go up and spend some more time exploring and enjoying the fishing in other areas if I can.
And I think your right about the 5 miles thing, one of the guys working at poor Richards told me something similar, he said 6-8 miles per day during high water events.

Back