My First Rainbow

hughzar

hughzar

I thought I might share a story about catching my first rainbow trout yesterday. Perhaps this could spark other stories of people reminiscing about the first important catches...

Yesterday just felt like a good day for fishing. A cool night, a cloudless sky, and an autumn breeze in the air reinforced that feeling. After performing several much needed husband/father duties, I set out for the DHALO section of Pine Creek in Allegheny County.

It was around 3:00pm when I pulled off the road and started to gear up. With my head in the trunk, I heard a car with squeaky brakes decelerate. When I looked up an older man was leaning out his car window and asked, "Any luck?" I shook my head no and told him I was just getting started. He replied, "It's a great day for fishing. They just stocked this past Tuesday, so I'm sure you'll have some luck." After I thanked him, I shut my trunk and started walking toward the railroad tracks.

The waters of Pine Creek were low, but a fantastic shade of green. I knew that my approach to the waters would likely go unseen by trout hiding in the deeper holes. Despite my confidence, my first hour and a half proved fruitless. I started with a brown cone-head woolly bugger then switched to a Copper John to change it up, but found the fish uninterested in both.

When I arrived at a large moss covered rock, I stopped. Partly because there was a large snake sunbathing on said rock and partly because I knew this 100 yard stretch of water had good potential. It was deep and swift. There were pools of slower water to the right of the current every 20 feet or so. I knew this was where I would catch my first rainbow trout on the fly.

Recalling the advice to dead drift a woolly bugger through deeper pools for trout, I tied on a size 16 black cone-head woolly bugger and cast it out. To little surprise, I ended up hung up under a rock. I dislodged the fly as I felt my confidence wane. It was getting late and I was getting hungry. A few more casts, I said to myself, and then I'll head out. But it was this next cast that would keep me fishing for two more hours, and likely for the rest of my life.

I attached on a strike indicator high up on my line. My thinking was that trout, unlike the gluttonous bass I had previously been catching with buggers, would strike quick and lose interest just as fast. So I recast my line and waited with bated breath. Quickly, I mended my line for a better drift. Then my indicator disappeared.

Jerking up on the line, I set the hook. A flash of silver breached the green water as the trout let me know he was not going to be landed easily. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…he took off up stream. I managed to somehow keep the line tight as he breached the water several more times. A few minutes went by as this wily ‘bow continued to serge every time I would reach for my net. In the end, I was victorious.

Much to my surprise, my first rainbow trout was not as big as I had expected. He laid there in my net tired, as to be expected, only around 12 inches. I had caught several smallmouth bass at least in the 15 inch range this year and their fight paled in comparison to this trout. Quickly removing the bugger from it’s mouth, I grab the trout and returned him to the water.

That trout and I shared a moment just then, as I supported him in the water. We both played very intricate roles in this memorable event. I could see his gills opening and close at a much slower pace, and I knew it would be longer. Withdrawing my hand from the water, but still crouch down, I watched as my first rainbow trout swam away. It was like watching a ship set sail with a loved one aboard. Sure, there were no exuberant cheers or loud horns to echo in the woods, but it was still an exciting send off.

Standing up, I did what any true fisherman would do. I reattached my forceps to my vest, slung my net behind my back, and started to strip out some line. There were more fish out there. And I was ready to try to catch every one of them!

Hugh,
Nice story and congrats on your first 'bow! I'd say he hooked you more solidly than you hooked him. :)

As for the fight - to have a 12" 'bow outfight 15" smallies is highly unsual. Nice job anyway. Every time you fish that pool for the rest of your life you'll remember that rainbow.

Nice story. My first was about that size. I hooked him in a pool just beneath a dam. Bugger fought like a demon.

Shame you didn't get a pic of him.

I can't remeber my fist "bow" I'm more of a brooky guy> I caught my 1st wild bow this past summer while on day trip with my Dad. I found some creeks on a map and I talked my dad into riding along.
DSC00598.jpg

I thinks it kinda funny you can go to any blue line on a map and 1st time you see it kinda talks to you. Your see the runs, pools and the tall outs and dont seem new just familliar. Thats the way this day was. And to spend it with my dad was even better. As far as he is concerned there is no other wild trout in pa besides the "brookie". And to blow his mind when I caught my wild rainbow on a brown rubber legged san juan worm. That was pricless.
DSC00603.jpg

nice post! as you note (and realize) in your thread, you are now 'hooked'! I was in your shoes 2 years ago, and am now an addict. and I just want to let you know that it only gets better!

I had the pleasure this weekend of hooking my first rainbow on a fly that I tied (a beadhead pheasant tail)...talk about satisfaction - WOW!

Ditto- good story!

Felt like I was walking along with you there for a minute. Good job!

Wait till you catch your first "lake run 'bow"!! :-D

Congrats!

Nice fishing story, and a great read. You weave a tale well...as others said, I felt like I was there.

You are correct...you never forget your first fish on a fly. Now wait until you start tying, then you'll have lots of other "firsts" to write about. I still remember my firsts. I posted them in a thread some time back, and I still remember them all.

My first trout on a fly was a 10" wild brown, in the plunge pool below Pretty Boy dam, on the Gunpowder. I caught it on an olive bead head wooly bugger. It slammed the bugger as soon as it hit the water. I was like a kid on Christmas morning. Now that I write about it, it's kind of ironic...it was the day after Christmas, and I was fishing with the waders and wading boots I just got for Christmas the day before.

My first trout on a dry fly was a 9" brown on a flying ant on the Gunpowder. It was also my first successful attempt at casting to a rising fish, and catching it.

My first trout on a fly I tied myself was a dink...a 6" brown on a bead head pheasant tail on a trib to the Gunpowder. Small, but it still counts, and I won't forget it!

My first trout on a dry I tied myself was a 9" brookie on a CDC blue wing olive in the Shenandoah National Park.

I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but it just gets better from here!

My first bow on a fly was a stocked rainbow on Dyberry Creek on a caddis worm by the bridge at the lower end of the regs area on a may day. If actually was my first trout on a fly. That was about '72. There were many times I caught firsts, like the first trout on a fly I tied, the different rods I build, on different streams, etc. For instance my first trout on Fishing Creek, Lamar, was a small brookie on a 4wt. 7.5 foot rod I built, in the first pool above the bridge in the narrows. I caught it on a LBQ in July during the mid 90's. My 4 wt 9 ft. rod caught it's first fish on the Roach River in ME in late June, the fish was a LL Salmon, I was crest fallen because I thought I went all that distance and caught a brown. I didn't even consider that it was a salmon until another angler showed me the difference.

Back