my 1st musky.

PACOFRANSICO

PACOFRANSICO

I finally landed my 1st musky on a fly rod after a couple of hook ups. I am a musky tramp now.
musky2a.jpg

Big congrats!

A musky (tiger in this case) on a fly is unforgettable.

Had 2 other strikes that night. And my buddy and I ended up with catching musky's on the fly that night.
That fish hit at dark 30 right off my rod tip. It was forty inches the biggest musky i ever caught with gear or on a fly. And we had for a cam was a cell go figure.

I think 90 percent of the time they hist at the end of the retrieve. I've learned to do a few figure 8's before pickin up my rod.

Nice fish! What fly is that? Looks awesome!

Its hard to do a figure 8 from while standing in the water especially with a 9ft. stick. The fly is a firetiger roadkill.

Yeah. Much easier from a boat.

Very nice what body of water was it in ?

Congratulations Paco! Quite an accomplishment.

Neat. My have a shot meself if I ever went for them.

Yea its is an nice fish but its not enuff. I'm kinda obcessed with fishing for these things now.

Paco good job man. That's my goal for the season is to land one on the fly rod. Life has been getting in the way of me getting out to make that happen but hopefully over the next month I'll get a few chances to put the boat on the water.

A 40" fish is awesome with any means but especially sweet on the fly. Congrats!

I caught her in a river, which i think is awsome. I'll give props to my buddy without him there that fish would have bin a handfull to land myself.

The Allegheny is a good place to go for muskies with a fly rod. It has a good population of fish. They can't get away from you deep or offshore like in a lake so much, the moving water makes the figure-8 not quite as necessary. And the population is a good size to eat flies (#'s of 30-40 inchers) I don't know where you are, but if you and a buddie can get up here, the 2 of you can have some fun taking turns running the boat and casting. Big streamers work well in gold/black, 'natural' or 'shad' colorations, and gold/green. The water is pretty clear usually.
Syl

I got my second tiger last night. My buddy smoked another 1 too.
0510112022a.jpg

Now that there is pretty cool.

whats wrong with your face man?

Gotta love it, way to go. Glad to see some others out there who are not only addicted to Musky, but chasin with flies too.

I've been fishin for 30+ years, only 3 for Musky, but they have already replaced a lot of my past "unforgettable moments" on the water. I just haven't experienced anything else quite like a Musky crushin my fly right there in front of me!! Amazing! talk about makin the knees shake. LOL

Jay

Hi Jay,
Welcome to the Paff forums. It's good to see some new warm water enthusiasts around here - all these trout snobs yuh know. :)

Seriously, this forum message board is mainly a trout fishing community - which is, of course, perfectly okay - so there aren't a lot of bass guys much less muskie enthusiasts. Kudos to Paco, we don't see musky photos posted here every day. I consider myself something of a muskie enthusiast (mostly pursue 'em with conventional gear) and get out fly fishing for muskies a few times every year. Although I had some shots at nice fish last year, I didn't get a single hit in 2010, just sore arms from casting. :)

Really, any muskie on a fly, regardless of size, is a real trophy IMO. Here's wishing you a "toothy 2011."

Thanks!! This seems like a great forum for pretty much all things FLyfishing. Can't believe I hadn't found it sooner to be honest.

I was all about trout for about 20yrs solid until I decided to check out this Musky thing a few years back. Started with conventional tackle while bringin a 9wt along with me just in case I might get a shot with the fly. Now, I carry two 10wts loaded with different flies and carry a conventional rod along just in case. LOL

I'm definitely full blown addicted to this Musky thing, just like I was for trout for so many years. Yep, it can be tough with how long you somtimes go between even seeing a fish but when you do, you just forget all about everything else!! LOL

Anyhow, looks like I have A LOT of catchin up to do on this site as there seems to be TONS of great info/discussions. Gotta love it!!

Jay

Glad to hear that there is 1 more musky tramp here.

Back