Mutiple robins ? In February?

krayfish2

krayfish2

My brother lives down by Maurice and said that he's seen them off and on all winter. I came out to have a smoke and there's 3 of them in my yard. Seems awful early for them or did they never really leave due to the mild winter? Anyone else seeing them with regularity? Maybe the groundhog is right this year.

Not all Robins migrate. There are huge flocks that winter where they are.

I see them all winter.

On our farm and in Carlise today I've been seeing a ton of cardinals.

Plenty of robins around all winter long Kray. What I thought was a sign of a mild winter was the amount of Canada geese flying around. Hear them a lot at night.

Haven't seen any robins at my feeder/yard/park this winter.
It's usually common to see some every winter - not this winter (so far).

try Florida in the spring-we get huge flocks of robins-I mean hundreds at a time.lol

They've been all over the Letort the last 2 Sundays.

Boyer

When they do a February bird count here in Maryland, robins are among the most frequently seen birds. They're year-round residents up to Maine.

The reason we don't see as many most winters is that they tend to go into more wooded areas where they're more likely to find berries and such. You don't see them bob-bob-bobbin' along the lawn because the worms aren't there when the ground is frozen.

Haven't seen any robins, but I did see a snow owl outside my house back in early january. I was absolutely blown away, first one I've seen.my understanding is that they do migrate into pa during the winter, but sightings ate extremely rare. Pretty cool to see.

I see flocks quite commonly in late winter. As was said, many don't migrate. They do flock up.

You see them in large flocks, sometimes hundreds, especially when there's spotty snow cover. I remember a HUGE flock behind the house last February. It's the S facing slope, and it was a warmish day, enough to melt the snow cover there (but it was the only snow free area). For a day it was just crazy with them. Musta got hungry and that first shot at food got em movin.

But it's not like later when you see them in singles or doubles nearly non stop. I might go weeks without seeing one. Then a few hundred at once.

I put a feeder right outside my office window this year and have not seen a robin yet. Krays bro must have the right kinda seed for them. Cuz thay all over there in the D-town area.

Plenty of robins showed up around Hagerstown last week.

They all migrated to my street. They are here every winter and never really seem to leave. Actually just before the big storm a couple of weeks ago the flocks seemed pretty big with ~20 flying around together. My one neighbor gets freaked out by this and makes wild claims on the Facebook about how strange this is.

Just as interesting are the Canadian geese. I know a lot go to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, but many stay along the major waterways. See a lot of on the golf courses and really don't seem to migrate that far either.

Birdwatchers tell me that the robins we see in winter are ones that have flown here from way up in Canada; they have migrated to here. The ones we have during spring and summer are ones that have migrated to the South from here, and we'll start seeing robins migrating north from the South toward the end of this month, and then next month we'll see lots of them. At least, that's what the birdwatchers tell me.

From an outing yesterday, I noticed that the rhododendron buds seem to be pushed a bit. I don't recall noticing these the past few years, but that might be because it was so darn cold that I stayed off the streams.

even more than robins, I saw 2 bluebirds on Saturday. They will have an unpleasant surprise when the temps go negative this weekend. Hope the weather doesn't get them.

Syl

I had so many robins in my backyard for 2 days that I could not count them I could not count them there were so many.

Generally robins migrate, but not all of them migrate. This is driven home this year. They've been here since the migrating birds left in late Sept. Some that have wintered over no doubt are from further north, while others are resident birds. One thing that is pretty unusual is that they are feeding on the ground this early.

Cardinals generally don't migrate though it's been proven that some birds from further north do move to our region in the fall, but the majority of birds are resident birds.

No robins yet . Latestvcold snap might make them show. G G

Back