Mustad 3906B

M

MissingPotter

Good morning,

Ran out of these-it's replaced with S82-anyone use these? Any appreciable difference?

Thanks.

I stock piled these hooks and have nearly a lifetime supply when I knew they were being discontinued. I wasn't taking any chances!

The 3906B if my favorite for wet flies, I was searching over the weekend for size 14, wasn't able to find any, so I ordered the new heritage series hooks.
Ive used the new hooks allready, no big difference, some styles are barbless and some have the alpha point (smaller barb), only other differences are they come in a small hard plastic box and they cost more (but what doesn't these days?)

The 3906B/S82 hooks, for all purposes worth considering, are identical. You can get pretty much the same hook from any manufacturer that is described as 1XL and 2XH wire in whatever size you're looking for. Part of the confusion that newer tiers can run into with this is about whatever possessed Mustad to change their length designations back, what, 20 or so years ago? Mustad now identifies the 3906B/S82 hook as being 2XL.

There may be minor variations in these designations from manufacturer to manufacturer, but nothing that is likely to mean anything to a fish..

That would have been smart, Big John!
#10 through #18 I have probably 6 boxes of each of the 50 packs...some of them like a size #12 I bet I have at least a dozen easily. They have always been my go to hook!

Back when I started tying flies - probably about 45 years ago there really were only 3 hooks you needed to know …

Mustad 94840 - dry flies
Mustad 3906B - nymph/wet flies
Mustad 9672 - streamers

There’s parts of me that still wishes it was just that simple! I don’t know why Mustad ever changed their description of a 3906B from a 1XL to a 2XL either, that always never set well with me. However, I’ve always loved Mustad hooks and still do.

There are some 3906b hooks for sale on EBay right now, including a few size #14’s. I also see some on Amazon.

Added on Edit: Oh, I almost forgot that several weeks ago @sandflyx told me he had over 15,000 old Mustads in his shop. You might check with him to see what he has.

Last edited:
Back when I started tying flies - probably about 45 years ago there really were only 3 hooks you needed to know …

Mustad 94840 - dry flies
Mustad 3906B - nymph/wet flies
Mustad 9672 - streamers

There’s parts of me that still wishes it was just that simple! I don’t know why Mustad ever changed their description of a 3906B from a 1XL to a 2XL either, that always never set well with me. However, I’ve always loved Mustad hooks and still do.
I heard that-that's what I was taught, too.

It's your choice & money but there are more than a few 1XL, 1XH, down eyed, Sproat bend hooks I would choose over a made in China Mustad Signature hook...

The only Mustad hooks I still use are some NOS made in Norway 3399's...

It's your choice & money but there are more than a few 1XL, 1XH, down eyed, Sproat bend hooks I would choose over a made in China Mustad Signature hook...

The only Mustad hooks I still use are some NOS made in Norway 3399's...
Lay 'em on me....

Obviously it's your money & decision but you can't go wrong with the Daiichi 1560 and they are as close to a 3906B in attributes as they get.

i use the mustad heritage s82 for my bergman wet flies

just a different number system and color

i use the mustad heritage s82 for my bergman wet flies

just a different number system and color
I've been enjoying your winged wets a lot. I appreciate you posting them.

comparison

Back