Musky Demo

im new to this predator fishing and i want to become addicted so you guys have any links to leader formulas and fly recipes for both pike and musky anything helps !

flipnfly reverse tied bucktail make the best flies for predator fishing. They push alot of water and are lightweight. The synthetic looks really nice but does not typically push a lot of water and can cause false hooksets in the needle like teeth on the roof of a pike or musky mouth. Loop up Brad Bohen's Hangtime. Pretty much make variations of this. This can be tied as a single or double or even a triple if you dare. As far as leaders go they are very basic. The fly lines and and the flies are heavy enough that you do not need a tapered leader. I use 40lb flourocarbon nail knotted to my fly line and I put a big loop on the end of that big enough to pass a fly through. I then have 80lb flouro pretied to my flies with a loop then I can just handshake the whole thing and be on my way. 4 feet of 40lb and 1 foot of 80.

Don't use a 20lb break off point anymore?

Bosshog it depends. If i'm wading yes. If I'm in my boat which is 99% of the time anymore I don't because I can just row over to it and pop it off.

I forgot to mention break points at the presentation

i never thought i'd see the day where i feel a 1/0 hook is too small !

TD, what kind of heads were you using at the demo? Also I forgot to write down the kind of hooks you used. I'm hitting up the Lancaster fly show and want to load up on materials. Thanks again.

I was using the Flymen Fish mask. I use the #10. They have a 15 but it is waaaayyyy to big. The 10 works good. The Clear Cure Goo is a cool concept but it takes alot of time and patience to make a good clean head. With the masks you just stick the eye in the socket put some clear cure goo over them and you're done. I also color the inside of the mask with a sharpie to give them kind of a candy coat look. The hooks are the Partridge Universal Predator X. I use the 8/0. You should be able to find both the hooks and the masks at the show. I will probably be at the show saturday.

I'll be there Saturday as well. Now if I can just find some decent buck tails I'll be in business.

Awesome demo guys. Thanks for answering all of my questions. I picked up some tying tips from you guys and I have been busy ever since.

Attachments

• Tan White Dbl BT.jpeg
    Tan White Dbl BT.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Olive Chartruse Smorgasbord.jpeg
    Olive Chartruse Smorgasbord.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 3
Very nice looking flies bluesteel

Back