Murdich Minnow Tying?

H

Hooligan

Has anyone here tied up the Murdich Minnow ? I've seen a couple of videos on it, one of them finishes off the fly with Liquid Nails (Joe "Cornmuse" Cornwall's video). I was wondering if the adhesive is just "jammed" into the fly body to keep it together or if it's applied to the head to stiffen it. The video and instructions are not quite clear.

The second video ("Tightlines") doesn't use any adhesive like Joe does. AND, yet another set of instructions has the pattern's head trimmed.

It's probably just a matter of preference for tying the head area, but.... Any input from you experts?

John

I like this video seems as a good way to tie it Minnow

Yes, Fred, that's Cornmuse's video. I just can't tell if he's using the adhesive (Liquid Nails in his use) to stiffen the head (and/or the rest of the estaz body) or if the adhesive is being used into thebody/hook area for durability.

Email him and ask . Adapt and over come :-D

It's just like adding goop or any other thick material to hold the eye's in place. I use fabric paint (clear Gellies) its cheaper and no odor like the others. It keeps the eye from falling off and stiffens the head slightly.

Being that's it's fly tying season, I could always try EVERY avenue of approach tying this fly. My only fear is that I might possibly wind up with "X" percentage of my flies not being worth a damn! I (as most tyers) have enough of them!

Joe's a pretty good guy, I'll take your advice and email him. I'll post his reply for the rest of the forum.

Oh yeah, "duh" on my part! :oops:

John

EDIT- email sent. And to SF, I know something has to be used for the eyes, I figured whatever glue was being "jammed" in would double for eye placement. It looks like a pretty good SM fly (as if I don't have enough patterns already).

Joe's reply to my question:

"A bit of both, actually. The LN small projects silicone adhesive dries clear and flexible. You could certainly substitute Clear Cure Goo flexible. I work it into the chenille to hold the eyes and form a tapered "fish head". It dries rubbery and gives a GREAT effect on the fly. "

John

Back