Multi-day fishing floats

greenlander

greenlander

I'm hoping to plan some multi-day fishing floats for this spring and summer. Primary interest would be trout, but would also be interested in just about anything else.

Generally hoping for primitive camping in order to find privacy/as much wilderness as possible.

Had hoped to do a multi-day float on the upper D with an overnight at a primitive campsite, but that seems elusive. Any suggestions for other trout rivers that might offer open/primitive camping and the options for an overnight?

For other species, I've been looking at the Delaware Water Gap 20 mile float. Sounds like there are plenty of primitive campsites there. April for shad or summer for smallmouth (and good swimming)?

Open to any/all other suggestions.

Pine Creek, Ansonia to Blackwell (Grand Canyon stretch) is the obvious one that comes to my mind. There’s a primitive campground about half way at Tiadaghton, which itself is nothing more than a collection of a handful of hunting/fishing camps. It gets too warm for Trout by mid to late June, but most years by then it’s too low to float efficiently anyway.

At reasonable Spring flows, and with stopping to fish some, this is a good two day (one night) float, through one of the most remote places in PA.

Swattie87 wrote:
Pine Creek, Ansonia to Blackwell (Grand Canyon stretch) is the obvious one that comes to my mind.

Great suggestion. I love that area. Just beautiful up there.

What's the skill level for that float? I suppose I should have mentioned in the OP (will go back and edit now if I can) that I'm the most experienced rower in our group and I have a total of about 3 days on the oars, on relatively easy floats. So, as much as I'd like to be able to go crashing through the Lehigh Gorge and the like, we're definitely looking for beginner-friendly floats.

For the most part Pine Creek is pretty tame. It doesn’t have anywhere near the gradient of the Lehigh in the Gorge. There’s one decent set of rapids, “Owassee Rapid” or something close to that it’s called. Probably a strong Class II in the type of flows you’d find a good mix of floating and fishing.

There’s plenty of videos on YouTube of that rapid, if you want to get an idea. Lots of heavy chop and a couple big rocks with holes downstream of them, but no big drops or anything. At the type of flows you’d be looking to do a fishing float in, and with a reasonable line missing the biggest stuff, it’s the type of stuff that is more likely to get you wet in the boat, than dump you, if that makes sense.

The Potomac River around Paw Paw is always a good trip.

C&O Canal runs along the river and has camp sites and there's the possible to camp on some islands.

C&O Canal Map

I can help you. I have a lot of experience with two night, three day canoe trips in PA, WV, VA, and NC.

Most canoe trips for trout are kind of limited to early season, higher water, and colder weather conditions.

The upper Delaware River is very limiting because of all the private land and limited places to camp, but I have caught trout there on these trips.

The other places where I have caught trout on a trip like this is the very upper Greenbrier River and the South Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River both in West Virginia.

You have many more options targeting smallmouth bass in the above four states mentioned. Timing is everything, especially for trout, and in WV, these are stocked trout.

Again, I will be glad to help you.

CT

When I was in my early 20's, I floated the West Branch of the Susquehanna from Karthaus to Lock Haven on a multi-day trip. Fished for smallies a bit, but the river was completely dead for most of the trip. Today, there are fish almost through that whole stretch (I caught some last year). It is one of the most remote stretches of larger water in the state. I've wanted to float it again and stop along the way at the mouths of the small streams that enter the river on both sides. You could hit numerous Class A and Wild Trout waters between Karthaus and Renovo, and fish for smallmouth and catfish in the main stem. Not too many prettier trips in PA.

Swattie87 wrote:
For the most part Pine Creek is pretty tame. It doesn’t have anywhere near the gradient of the Lehigh in the Gorge. There’s one decent set of rapids, “Owassee Rapid” or something close to that it’s called. Probably a strong Class II in the type of flows you’d find a good mix of floating and fishing.

There’s plenty of videos on YouTube of that rapid, if you want to get an idea. Lots of heavy chop and a couple big rocks with holes downstream of them, but no big drops or anything. At the type of flows you’d be looking to do a fishing float in, and with a reasonable line missing the biggest stuff, it’s the type of stuff that is more likely to get you wet in the boat, than dump you, if that makes sense.

At Owassee Rapids, all you have to do is stay left, and it's a piece of cake.

Before you go, though, you want to do your research and know where that rapids is, so you can get over to the left.

On the right side, it's rough and many people have flipped their boats there. A friend of mine used to go there in summer low flows and pick up peoples' gear. He called it The Owassee Tackle Shop.

The rest of the float is pretty easy under moderate flows. At very high flows though, anything can be dangerous.

There is a very tight bend left near Tiadaghton. Just below Tiadaghton as I recall. At moderate flows we had no trouble at all. At very high flows that could be difficult. Someone was killed there a year or two ago.

I recommend getting the book Keystone Canoeing.

Pine Creek, Youghiogheny River, Clarion River would all be options to consider for a trout/ smb combo float trip in no particular order. The section of Pine Creek is quite popular for this type of trip and rightfully so given that you are entirely on public lands.

Clarion is a good call. Wouldn’t have thought of that. I don’t know it as well as Pine, but I believe there are some SP and public CG’s along its length that you could probably plan a trip around.

I'd be down to do that W Branch Susky float that Klingy mentioned this summer if we can get a group of guys together

timmyt2 wrote:
I'd be down to do that W Branch Susky float that Klingy mentioned this summer if we can get a group of guys together

That section can get skinny in the summer if there are low flow conditions, even for kayaks and canoes. Rafts might be able to handle low flow conditions better. Renovo to Lock Haven would be another good float, probably better river fishing than the upper section.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
Pine Creek, Youghiogheny River, Clarion River would all be options to consider for a trout/ smb combo float trip in no particular order. The section of Pine Creek is quite popular for this type of trip and rightfully so given that you are entirely on public lands.

Excellent. Thanks.

I've always thought of the Yough as off-limits (like the Lehigh Gorge) to new rowers. Is that not the case? Or, like the Lehigh, are there sections that are more wild and others that are more tame?

troutbert wrote:

At Owassee Rapids, all you have to do is stay left, and it's a piece of cake.

Before you go, though, you want to do your research and know where that rapids is, so you can get over to the left ...

There is a very tight bend left near Tiadaghton. Just below Tiadaghton as I recall. At moderate flows we had no trouble at all. At very high flows that could be difficult. Someone was killed there a year or two ago.

I recommend getting the book Keystone Canoeing.

Do books tailored to canoeing/kayaking generally translate well for rafts?

Also -- I imagine there must be some good apps these days targeted at kayakers/rafters/etc, will have a look.

I have a 10.5 foot framed pontoon

I'd do the susky trip this spring too though if guys are interested PM me

Soaring Eagle Campground at Kellum’s Bridge on the Upper Delaware makes a great basecamp. The owner will shuttle you up or downstream for a couple of different floats or fish the excellent water right at camp.

I would watch the water flows and wait until at least May unless we have a warm, dry April, the water my be too warm by the end of May.

Mark C

MarkC wrote:
Soaring Eagle Campground at Kellum’s Bridge on the Upper Delaware makes a great basecamp. The owner will shuttle you up or downstream for a couple of different floats or fish the excellent water right at camp.

I would watch the water flows and wait until at least May unless we have a warm, dry April, the water my be too warm by the end of May.

Mark C

Thanks Mark. Definitely thinking of hitting the D for a couple of trips in May, and hopefully the water gap later in the summer. I've had a couple of other folks recommend Soaring Eagle as well.

The Clarion is a great choice. You could float from Ridgway to the backwaters of Piney Dam for a multi-day trip. Combination fishing with more trout towards the top and warm water at the bottom. Lots of camping locations available.

The West Branch Susque is pretty nice. I've floated sections of it 3 different times.

We've put in at Shawville for longer floats.

For a weekend trip, we put in at Karthaus and took out at Keating.

Karthaus to Renovo is a good trip also.

We were in regular canoes. For those, the water often starts getting thin around mid-June.

Again, I recommend getting the book Keystone Canoeing, for info on different sections, best water levels, all that.

I've only ever done overnight camping/fishing floats down the Juniata due to the convenience for me. I can end of begin right at my house. Anyways, lots of public islands to camp on. You obviously won't have that wilderness feeling as it mostly rolls through farmland and towns, though. Last year I floated from Newton Hamilton to my house which was a nice one night float trip.

Back