Mud Run?

phiendWMD

I stopped by Hickory Run the other day. There are dozens of new signs posted at everything that looks like a trail stating the area is closed. The signs also say no wading. I don't fish Mud run often. I wasn't attempting to fish the other day. But from what I saw it looks like Mud Run is not open for fishing?

I have no idea where on Mud Run you were attempting to fish, but there is that massive ongoing bridge replacement project on I-476 that may have something to do with the signs.

I could imagine "they," (meaning the parties involved) don't want folks walking/wading/fishing underneath that construction site. Even though PA Route 534 also passes under the new bridge construction, that's a little easier to manage.

I have no idea where on Mud Run you were attempting to fish, but there is that massive ongoing bridge replacement project on I-476 that may have something to do with the signs.

I could imagine "they," (meaning the parties involved) don't want folks walking/wading/fishing underneath that construction site. Even though PA Route 534 also passes under the new bridge construction, that's a little easier to manage.
I was at Hawk Falls. The whole trail from 534 to Mud Run is posted. What you say would make sense but this area seems way larger than that.

A call to Hickory Run State Park or the Turnpike Commission may get you the definitive answer, but I would almost guarantee the bridge replacement project is the reason.

Controlling entry from many points that provide access to the construction zone under the bridge is all about safety and most likely liability.

As somebody who fished under that Turnpike bridge many times in the past, a cap from a plastic water bottle falling from that height would probably kill a person below if it hit them. 😉

Hickory Run SP - (570) 443-0400

Last edited:
A call to Hickory Run State Park or the Turnpike Commission may get you the definitive answer, but I would almost guarantee the bridge replacement project is the reason.

Controlling access from many points that provide access to the construction zone under the bridge is all about safety and most likely liability.

As somebody who fished under that Turnpike bridge many times in the past, a cap from a plastic water bottle falling from that height would probably kill a person below if it hit them. 😉
Makes perfect sense.

I was just up the road a couple days ago at Orchard Rd. (Access road just upstream of Hawk Falls) There were no signs there. And none on the Orchard Loop Trail, which I hiked around.

Back