Moving past the wooly bugger

McFinn wrote
Watch ur inbox Alby, and i'll hook u up after the holiday.

I can hardly wait!

Yes, I do tie flies. Mostly green weenies and wooly buggers! I'm reading and learning about nymphing. I just have to go out and do it! I'm just not as confident tying nymphs yet. Tight line nymphing and the European styles really interest me. The problem I have with it is fishing so close. I catch most of my fish at some distance away from the reach of the rod....ie casting a bugger upstream under a thingamabob. I need to include the thingamabob also in my list of things I want to learn to fish without. Now keep in mind I'm not saying I will give up the bugger, weenie, bobber entirely, I just want to catch fish using other techniques...broaden my horizons.

You need to learn line control and you can lose that bobber. The floating line itself is a fine indicator if you keep the slack at a minimum. Try casting that bugger straight across or slightly dowwnstream and let it swing below you. Don't immediately strip it back, let it swing in the current for a spell and watch what happens. This is just one alternative to bobbing it.

i have been fly fishing for years. I still use buggers almost exclusively. I will fish nymph rigs in the winter and drys when there is a hatch. there is just something about fishing with buggers that i really enjoy. I think its the versatility you have with them. Dead drift, sink and strip, down and across, they all work and they all catch fish. You dont have to worry so much about reach casting and mending. Trying to keep the slack out of your drift. Other techniques are fun, but to me buggers are my goto.

I know a guy that fishes six patterns year round. Do what feels right when it feels right. You'll branch out at some point, and if you don't it's all good. As long as you enjoy yourself what more could you ask for.

My favorite dry/dropper is a hopper/zebra midge dropper. Seems the zebra midge gets them ever time and it's easy to tie. You might even want to try your hand at tying the hopper I also have good luck with a Elk Hair Caddis

Back