Mountain stream tactics

I wish I had wild trout streams, to fish like that around my way those pics look great Jack... :pint:

Bamboozle is right, you don't need no stinking hatches. and even on Class A oftentimes the best water is a fair walk in. There have been man times that I've fished streams and had only fair fishing until I was in over a mile, you're still fairly young do some walking and you will find good water where there will be trout. Of course they are a bit harder to find this time of the year, but if you know where to look you'll find them. I like the worming idea, I never though of that, but once in a while I fish with bait anglers and they don't have any trouble finding trout when they toss a worm in a hole.

I think you have some excellent comments and approaches to fishing on small Mt. Streams. With out getting into short rods vs long rods. The most important thing for me is the rod has to cast the leader only. I fish most of the Mt. Streams in the summer and only fish dries. Low water is the main reason. But if the water is up and I have no luck on the top a killer fly for me is a red tag you may want to have a few with you next time.

Joe E

Short rod vs Long rod.
I had a 7 1/2 footer, Jack had a 9 footer. One the walk in I thought I was so smart because I was NEARLY tangle free. However once on the water (as you could see in the pics) I had to leeeeeean all the way out to get my fly over the spot. If I had an extra foot and a half I would not have had to look like a moron kneeling beside a crick. The wind did a fair job at killing what little reach I did have.

I usually fish a 6 1/2 foot on small streams and sometimes my 7ft bamboo.. I feel that anything longer thna that is not needed . I fish up stream directly the whole time . I get some long cast out for a mtn stream . lots of bow and arrow , and of course roll ... I use a 6ft leader . And last the only fly I use for native brookies is a Royal Wulff with yellow wings .. no nymphs it takes the challenge out of it . THats my style , but to each his own !!!!

Another vote for the short sticks on what I consider to be small cricks. I'm talking about the overgrown variety with lots of trees just waiting to snag my fly on the last backcast.

I go with a 6'6" or 7'0" most of the time but I have a 5'6" in the design stages. Material of choice is bamboo or glass. I'll trade reach for not getting snagged in tree limbs. It works for me.

But if you also consider Slate Run a mountain stream, there my short rod goes out the window since there is so much room for backcasts in places. There I use an 8'0" - 8'6" rod.

My small stream rod used to be a 6'6" cheap rod, but I gave it away. Now I use an 8 footer. I used to be sold on the shorter rods, but now I am not so sure. They have their pluses and minuses. I plan to build another shorty. My thinking is that in streams where you really can't cast much, longer can be an advantage because all you have to do is reach. anyone remember Dave (Cave) Curran (sp)? He used a 9 footer for small streams. by the way, is he still in the Coast Guard up in alaska? Anyway, my feeling is that if you can get fair casting lanes, shorter helps keep me out of the overhead trees. But then ... with a shorter rod, you need to have more line out so you need a longer lane. Heck, I don't know which is better. depends on the crick I guess. Most of the ones I fish don't have much brush, but do have a lot of hemlock overhead, so shorther is probably a little better IMHO.

If I ever build a rod specifically for brookie streams, I think 7'9" would be ideal for me. You can always choke up on a longer rod-- casting with your hand on the blank above the cork-- but when needed, it is impossible to "choke down" on a short rod.

I use rods in length from 4’4” to 7’9” for Mt. Streams there is only one material of choice for me and that is bamboo. The rod I take most is a 6’3” 4wt for the streams I fish most of the time. I like to cast so the shorter rod allows me to do that and I still end up bow and arrow casting a lot. The 4’4” is not a toy; some of the really tight streams it comes in very handy. I actually gave the rod to a friend that loved it and I plan to make me another soon.

Bamboozle what taper is your 5’6” based on. I’m in the process of building a 5’10” quad (It is final tapered I just need to glue it up, but was waiting to finish a couple others that I’m working on and glue them all at one time) that I converted from a lee wulff taper. It looks good on paper I hope it casts well if not it will be back to the pen and paper and see where I need to make changes.

Joe E

JackM wrote:
If I ever build a rod specifically for brookie streams, I think 7'9" would be ideal for me. You can always choke up on a longer rod-- casting with your hand on the blank above the cork-- but when needed, it is impossible to "choke down" on a short rod.

I've cast a friend's 7' 9" Orvis rod and it is very nice for this type of fishing. It was a 5 wt, if I recall correctly.

I have a 7 1/2 foot 4 wt Redington rod, which has a medium action, and it is pretty good for this type of fishing.

But there are many times when I feel it doesn't have enough punch. I've been thinking the ideal rod for a lot of these streams might be an 8 ft, 4 wt., fast action.

I'd like the Loomis action, without the Loomis cost. ;-) A real rocket, in other words. If anybody knows of any good rods like this, that wouldn't break the bank, please let me know.

i use a 7' 4 wt full flex. the orvis trout bum on small mountain streams. a good length and the full flex lets you feel the fish. most important though, small streams a rough on equipment. some small streams require a hike in the woods. i like the 4 pc. because i can strap the case over my shoulder. hike into the woods and then put it together. this makes it harder to break it while walking to the stream. especailly while climbing high gradient streams in rough terrian. also the 25 year warrenty just in case ;-) also a good all around rod.

For small streams I use a March Brown Hidden Waters Pack Rod. It’s a 4wt 7’ / 7 piece. It’s set up to leave out the 2nd section (the one above the handle), which makes it into a six foot rod. It comes with a zippered hard case that’s only 12” long. I put in my small backpack for the hike in. It has a lifetime guarantee. I’d classify the action as medium. The rod costs about $190.00 from Beek Flies from Delaware County, PA. It works for me.

http://store.beekflies.com/marchbrown4.html

thats a really cool rod! how much does it weigh?

SF,

I don’t really know the weight of the rod. I would classify it as lightweight, especially being 7’ or 6’ long. In fact, I’m having trouble finding a reel light enough to balance it out. It’s a great little rod. It has a matte finish for stealth, with single foot guides for lighter weight. The only thing I would change is that the cork grip is a little shorter than I’m used to.

Afishinado,

Here is the reel you want Pfleuger Supreme at FishUSA

The 1834 model weighs 3.25 ounces and you can't beat the price. I love it on my 2 weight!

Count me firmly in the short rod camp for brookies - but then again, I use a short rod for much of my small stream trout and bass fishing, including limestoners. I have built fly rods that ranged from less than 3 feet to 7 feet for small creeks. Lately most of my brookie fishing is done with a 5 and a half foot 4WT pack rod that breaks down into four pieces. I think short rods seem to be making something of a comeback in spite of the trend toward longer rods in recent years. There has, however, been a "short rod school" here in the Cumberland Valley for some time - with Ed Shenk as its guru. I can remember Ed defending short rods back in the early eighties when other fly fishing leaders were advocating longer rods. He also likes short rods for aesthetic reasons as do I. While I'd almost never take a five foot rod to the Susquehanna or saltwater, I like 'em for most trout fishing on small waters. Small rods are a bit of an aquired taste but for small brushy streams I think they beat longer rods most of the time.

In fact, I’m having trouble finding a reel light enough to balance it out.\

BassPro Shops has a great lightweight reel. They have a terriffic rod to balance it too! :-D

I am in my own camp as far as rod length, I use what is appropriate for the stream I'm fishing. I don't use a 7.5 foot rod on Pine Creek if I'm fishing for brookies there, and if I am fishing a jump across stream I don't use a 9 foot rod, unless I'mm familiar with the stream and know it is fairly open. Some are, like Splash Dam Hollow. But his thread wasn't about rod lengths so I'll end my comments there.

Back