Moto's Minnow Mania

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

I'm in love with these things, so I tried my hand at some different materials to see what I get...
Critiques welcomed and appreciated!

Moto's Variant
DSC_0020_zps05700b31.jpg

Articulated Moto's
DSC_0018_zpse2470433.jpg

The Family
DSC_0021_zps73b9adaa.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0020-1.jpg
    DSC_0020-1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 9
Really like the colors on the articulated one, ( tough they're all nice)hang on when you take that one for a swim. Nice flies.

Hey Tyger, looking good. As mentioned, some nice colors. bring them with you the next time you come to tie.

GenCon

Are these all tied with partridge feathers wrapped up the hook? I've never tied this pattern because the pack of loose partridge feathers I have is crap. Barely good enough for tying soft hackles. I don't think I could find enough large enough feathers in it to get through even one moto minnow!

Mike, thanks and will bring these along.
Jeremy, they are tied with India Hen feathers. I bought a pack at cabelas for like 7 bucks, but tying these really uses the feathers up. On a #10 i think i use around 10 feathers or so? Really awesome patterns. I used some other crappy feathers from some chinese necks i had laying around to try to get different color combos. I was using the first one pictured about a week ago and had a brown blow it up out of the water. Was the coolest catch i ever had. it just missiled out behind a rock, and the fly was high in the water at the end of the swing and the brownie just crushed it. Really awesome.

Nice! I did just buy a couple India hen necks to use as soft hackles and possibly as dry fly wings. Hadn't thought about using them to tie a moto minnow though. Thanks for the tip.

The motos is an awesome fly and the feathers from the India hen have really cool colors and movement in the water.

Tyger,

Real nice looking ties! That is a great looking pattern. Something else to add to the ever increasing "TO TIE" list. Hang on when you dredge one of them through a deep undercut. Probably would be a great Smallie pattern too.

My mentor and friend who showed this pattern also agrees with it being a good smallie fly. I've been told the work for carp too :)

Back