motorcycle screws in your wading boots.

S

somersetian

Anyone ever tried putting the screws that ice racers put in their tires in their boots? 10 bucks for 40 of them on ebay. Read somewhere that they work great for wading boots. Wandering if anyone has some first hand experience.

I think there was an extensive thread on this. Somw guys might have even split a big pack of them. Try searching for koldcutters in search bar. From what ive read they work well.

Thanks for the tip. Been fishing a lot of rocky smb streams and been sliding everywhere.

I picked up a pack of stainless hex headed screws at lowes at the beginning of the summer.

I cut off the points with my dremel tool and put them in the bottom of my close-toed water sandals.

So far so good and they were only a couple dollars.

Koldcutters are what they are(Stud for atv and motorcycle ice racing)They do work very good but you need to check the length.Be carefull when they are new Very Sharp.Use only what you need their still not cheap.Ive been robbing them out of my quad tires.

What length do you all use? Is there a size that is considered "standard" that works with nearly all boots?

If you go with the shorter ones (3/8 inch) to make sure they do not go through the sole, is there a disadvantage? Are they far more likely to pull out than 1/2 inch ones?

BTW, when wearing boots with any kind of metal (spikes, studs, cleats etc.) on the sole, be sure not to step on your fly line.

I did this once and it sliced right through the line.

I am using 1/2 in,Have a pretty thick sole,The threads are very coarse and I have never lost one and thats about 5years worth of wading.Lost the hole sole of one of my boots though.If your not sure just grind the tip a little but you may have to predrill the hole.They are a high carbon steel and they last for years.

$21.55 gets the 250 minimum order. If you call them the helpful man will tell you what fishermen order. #8, 1/2" I think. I haven't been anyplace deathdefying but they seem good.

I use these in my boots. They work reasonably well, but I do end up replacing at least one or two after every trip. The price savings makes it worth it to me. I'm not so sure if the Simms hardbites would work any better. I've never felt the need to change it up.

My good friend has issues with balance, and slipped a lot, so about two years ago we looked into studs etc. He tried basic sheet metal screws that you buy at the hardware supermarket. if you get the kind with a multidrive head format, they are pretty sharp, or a least sharp enough. What we found with his is that they pull out. each trip he was loosing one or two. Now he has hip boots, and i think we used a 3/8". if you could use something longer, maybe they wont pull out.

What i found works good for me, is something called Yaktrax. I had a pair because someone gave them to me. They are made for ice and snow traction. I never had enough of a problem to use them for that. They slip over your boot and have a velcro strap. They work real good, and my friend ended up getting a pair as well, after the last of his studs pulled out. The only downside I see to them, is that they are made from rubber. If you wade where the rocks have sharp edges, you can cut the rubber or wear it pretty quick. It happened on mine, but i fixed it up with some cord I had laying around.
Mine are in their second season, and I'll probably get three out of them. I think you can get them at Eastern Mountain Sports.

I needed some studs and bought ORVIS PosiGrip screw-ins -- almost reluctantly since a couple of reviews claimed they break off easily.

However, since I had a leftover gift certificate from the holidays, I didn't have to pay out of pocket, and figured I'd give them a shot.

They have held up great over many days scrambling across the rubbly Yough river bed. No complaints.

I think ORVIS charges about $27 for 20 of them. A little pricey... as is most of ORVIS stuff.

i have the kold kutters and they are way better than losing the expensive ones ! i went with 3/8ths inch threads could have went with the half inch threads i feel the 3/8ths come out easy im going to try zap a gap on them to see if they stay in longer i think 250 screws cost like 20$

Back