More river access to come in Lancaster and York counties

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/m-in-dcnr-grants-to-fund-rail-trails-parks-and/article_96372868-c314-11e6-ace6-eb17db48e693.html

Love it!

I don't love it.

Maybe I missed something. More trails equals more access? The area below Columbia (Turkey Point) that is now part of that rail trail thing involved a several mile long chain link fence and NO FISHING signs....Previously we accessed that area (including hunting,fishing,hiking,camping, birdwatching...)(for thirty plus years) without any issues. Similar closures to hunting and other lawful activities have happened at properties adjacent to and part of the rail trail all along its course. Perhaps taking some of that $$$$$$ and updating wastewater treatment plants would have actually benefitted the environment instead of creating miles of smooth gravel (and in some places paved)paths for mostly dogwalkers and bicyclists and tourists from out of the area. In addition part of the so called maintenance of these trails involve spraying herbicide which can be clearly seen if you walk on them as the plants on the edges are all dead.

The Lancaster County Conservancy deserves some credit for saving some areas but has also used (in my view) ridiculous and haphazard criteria for posting areas to hunting. What I've seen is an overall huge loss of hunting opportunities when the Conservancy steps in. Many of the areas now managed by them were previously open for ALL hunting and are now either closed or made "Archery Only". The area at Observation Rd in Manor Twp is just one example. Benton Hollow and Fishing Creek are others.Throughout the county they have done similar things and haphazardly posted land. Sad to pull up to a once loved area and see their huge signboard full of rules and regulations, their groomed trails and immense paved parking areas.

One more thing. Landowners along that trail have increasingly posted their properties due to the increased traffic and also vandalism that come with creating all this access.

Buying up land and making it public is great but always we get the so called "improvements" to go with it. Buildings,parking lots, fences, signs and groomed trails all are ways to blow those dollars.These "improvements" tend to be nothing more than opportunities for show boating by politicians and local uppity up business types to stand at ribbon cuttings and proclaim how generous they've been to us all while wasting tax money and funneling it to a FEW contractors who do the work on these things.

— $242,500: Acquisition of 43.85 acres to add to the Steinman Run Nature Preserve;

— $200,000: Acquisition of 270 acres along the Lower Susquehanna River in Lancaster and York counties;

— $43,000: Master site development plan for Climbers Run Nature Preserve and feasibility study for expansion of Susquehanna Riverlands Research & Education Center.

I agree with many of your points but I believe these 3 things to be good not bad.
To each his own

I would definitely agree with most of these.

That isn't mentioned in article unless I missed something. All they mention are the improvements to trestle at Safe Harbor and allude to other purchases of land.

Climbers Run is one thing I can't really relate to. Seems like a reallost cause in terms of wild trout. There are MUCH better streams with more potential that could use help. Have to wonder how these certain areas get attention and how they prioritize. I am not sure what they are actually planning as far as a Nature Area though.Possibly okay.

Current improvements happening now on Fishing Cr I get behind though.

JUST A HUNCH BUT----I would bet a lot of this land is currently owned by the power company. Probably was/is open to public now. Was likely seized using eminent domain way back when. Stolen for pennies on the dollar. Now power company sells it off. Could see this coming when that new shithead company took over.

Gape:

I can understand your aggravation about loosing your hunting areas as I am hunter as well but I just wanted to offer the following points about the Lancaster Conservancy for you to consider.

1. When the conservancy buys a property sometimes the former owners only sell it to them with a clause that states that the property should be a wildlife preserve. In this case the conservancy has not choice on whether or not to allow hunting and fishing. In most cases these properties have rules and regulations that are designed to minimize human impact.

2. Most of the properties that the conservancy owns that are suitable for deer hunting are open with no regulations.

3. Designated "Archery only areas" have recently appeared because of the popularity and heavy use of these areas with the general public, Ex: Turkey hill trail, Some areas of Tuquan Glenn, and Fishing creek. They are not eliminating hunting just creating a good balance for all of the interested parties.

4. The areas that the conservancy owns are really just narrow tracks of land. The areas around them are either private posted land (not much you can do about that) or public land that is open to hunting.

5. The conservancy buys land with the main premise of stewardship which means that their main interest is in caring for the ecosystem of the Lancaster county area and preserving all native plants and wildlife. It's not the same thing as buying game lands for the sole purpose of providing hunters with a public area to hunt.

I know there are some limitations to groups or individuals here but I'm just happy knowing that when most of Lancaster county becomes developed in my lifetime I will still have these wild spaces to utilize.

Hopback- You are right about Conservancy preserving for all kinds of various users...(potential donors and tourists)..BUT I don't think it necessarily means they are protecting plants and wildlife...Just my take.

Gape-You have it pretty much right on. Conservancy buys up places and "improves" them with trails/parking etc and publicizes online etc which draws more people causing landowners who previously tolerated trespassing (did not post or care about hunting) to post land adjacent to Conservancy land. The times they are a changin'.....You might as well give up.The Lancaster County you knew and loved is toast.

Back