More Muskie Stuff

Have you ever seen muskies in the Tully?

No. If I were to look for them I'd focus on the spillway, that looks "fishy" from a musky point of view. I don't fish it much.

Most of my musky experiences are in the Allegheny watershed. Crooked Creek spillway is near to where I grew up and is a good musky fishery from the dam to the river, especially the spillway pool. Tionesta is even better from the dam to the river, though there are some upstream too, as I mentioned losing a few trout to them and seeing them flash quite often. I know of a hole on the Tionesta upstream of the dam where I can just about guarantee there's one there. And of course the Kinzua tailrace. I've seen a few, or maybe just one multiple times, from a bridge over the Kiski, too.

To be honest, I've never actually landed one. I had one to my feet once in Crooked Creek, he took a shiner when I was targeting walleye back in my teenage years. Also hooked something that was probably a musky at Kinzua once, targeting trout and walleye but something big and fast took my emerald shiner, faster than the carp I sometimes hook there. Eventually broke 10 lb test.

Last year I tossed some big streamers around while watching my brother throw his lures in the lower Tionesta, and watched him catch 2 that morning. I did land a nice channel cat that morning on the fly, my first ever on fly gear.

I have seen them in the Tully, the Schuylkill and Maiden Creek as a kid.

For those that believe FFing for Musky is an exercise in futility read this:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/12116-musky-fly.html

Some good general info on fishing for muskies:

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/tomes_muskie.aspx

I have a great muskie lake in my back yard, Marsh Creek Res. You guys have given me the bug. Maybe I’ll give it a try.

I suspect that I have run across a musky in the tully.

I was fishing below the spillway, and there was an awful lot of splashing and struggling going on near one of the banks. It was clear that some large fish was chasing and eating a smaller fish. I didn't get a positive ID, but musky has always been my first suspicion.

I had a 4wt, so I didn't bother trying to find out.

FI- I guess I meant this time of year.

Maybe I thought there would be more fly fishers trying for them because they are possible to reach (at least in lakes) because they are in the shallows.

Additionally; I was thinking since trout season is not really going yet in the global sense more fly fishers would fish for these varmints as they try and shake the winter doldrums off.

But I understand your answer in that fly anglers fish moving waters much more and that they do this in the warmer months.

Fred and I went after them today. I hooked something sizable, and saw what can only be described as "a lot of fish" roll out of the water as the hook came loose.

If it weren't for hatches on the trout streams right now, I'd be putting the 5wts away for a while. I've got my mind set on getting one of those hogs.

I had a shot at two tigers this week but couldn't close the deal. Muskies are an awesome gamefish and the lower levels we've seen on the big rivers this spring have made for better fishing conditions. I just finished tying up another big muskie fly this evening. I'd say sometime in June we ought to try and get the PAFF Muskie JAM together and float the North Branch Susky.

Yeah Jay that is why I'm not letting you fish in front of me anymore . If it was me I would of landed that fish so we wouldn't have any doubts on what kind of fish it was ;-)

Fredrick wrote:
Yeah Jay that is why I'm not letting you fish in front of me anymore . If it was me I would of landed that fish so we wouldn't have any doubts on what kind of fish it was ;-)

:-D

Actually, don't give up on that fish. If it was in fact a muskie it's probably going to stay in that spot for awhile. This would be especially true if you were fishing a river and there aren't any major water level fluctuations. Rest him for a couple days and go try again.

I was pounding the bank. You were throwing your three mile casts out into the middle of the lake, Mr. Switch Rod. :p

Besides, I yielded the swan to you! :lol:

Dave,

It was a shallow, murky, and moderately weedy lake. Do they traditionally have "territory" in lakes?

Does anyone have any info on movement of musky in lakes? I'm curious whether I can expect them to stay on that shallow flat throughout the year.

Jay,
Muskies aren't likely to be found on a shallow flat all year. This time of year, it's common to see 'em at bankside near cover. Oftentimes, they're in pairs. Tigers can't spawn but will pair up. Purebreds, while they rarely spawn in eastern PA, will pair up and go thru the motions. Esocids don't make redds and guard them. In the western part of PA, the state catches breeder muskies with trap nets usually placed in shallow, weedy bays in springtime. I'd say by mid May they are more likely to move to deeper water and lay up off of mid lake points and structure or off deep weed edges in 5 or more feet of water. In deeper lakes with pelagic forage (eg Raystown) muskies often suspend in summer.
In the meantime, I think there's a good chance that particular fish, and maybe several others, will stay in the same spot for at least a couple more weeks.

Thanks Dave.

Looks like I had better make it a priority to get out there a few more times before summer.

I didnt even know there were muskies out there Jay!

I do have a 9' 8wt...;) looks like I need to make plans

Here's another Marsh Creek Res. Muskie caught by a spin guy this weekend. They're in there!

Attachments

• MC Muskie.JPG
    MC Muskie.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 5
jayL wrote:
I was pounding the bank. You were throwing your three mile casts out into the middle of the lake, Mr. Switch Rod. :p

Besides, I yielded the swan to you! :lol:

Dave,

It was a shallow, murky, and moderately weedy lake. Do they traditionally have "territory" in lakes?

Does anyone have any info on movement of musky in lakes? I'm curious whether I can expect them to stay on that shallow flat throughout the year.

Your right Jay but I told you to pound that bank area ;-) I feel the need now to go back and redem myself now :-D

We had two follow the black waterwolf to the boat Sat afternoon on March Creek, but as usual they wouldnt take the fly after seeing the boat. Its early and there cruising the drop offs looking for prespawning fish as they usualy do in April. Maybe next week.

Back