Moonshine Rod or Any Rod

goose54cdd

goose54cdd

I quickly need to buy a 4-piece rod that I can take to Wyoming. Preferably, a 9', 5 wt. This rod needs to cast dries as well as be stiff enough to fish nymphs. I would like to stay below $200. I have to have it in 11 days.
Thanks

I also wanted to know if anyone has used a moonshine rod. I built my own rods, but I won't have time.
Thanks

Can't go wrong with an Orvis Clearwater. Close as you will get in that price range.

Very pleased with my Moonshine Epiphany. It is however nymphing specific.

Last edited:
I have a moonshine and it is fine like others said probably over paid for it. Do you have any friends with a rod you could borrow? That is a pretty standard size.

I have a moonshine and it is fine like others said probably over paid for it. Do you have any friends with a rod you could borrow? That is a pretty standard size.
Yep, but I wanted to treat myself to a new rod for the trip, hahaha!

I have both a Clearwater and moonshine but in heavier weights. My 9ftv5wt 4pc is a Cabelas traditional II. Broke it once and they replaced it. Cabelas is the company they used to be. There should be some decent Redington rods in your budget.

I’m a guy who believes 200 is a high end rod and I draw no distinctions from a dry fly rod or a nymphing rod. All of my rods do it all. TFO Lefty Kreh pro II rod is about 150.00. I have one And like it a lot. I think it’s a great performing fishing rod. It doesn’t have the bling and shine of a high end rod so if your into bling and shine you might want to look at something else. You can’t go wrong with this rod If you simply want a great rod for fishing.

Get a T&T zone. Sure it’s more than 2x what you’re wanting to spend but you’re going on a vacation that is probably costing several times what even a top of the line rod would. Eat at McD’s a few times instead of a fancy restaurant and you’ll be even.

I’m a firm believer in high modulus high quality rods actually making people better fisherman- that is once they’ve mastered the basics.

Echo latest time I bought one 4-5 years ago it was combo outfit for $169.

On another gear thread, there's a posting about a sale at Sierra. The Grey's GR80 has a lot of fans and it fits your budget.

Back