Montoursville PA Trip Loyal Sock

G

Glenny

I will be in Montoursville PA on Saturday the 19th and was wondering how that section of the Loyal Sock is for fly fishing. Im thinking it maybe a little warm for trout but might be good for a few Smallies. I will be at Indian Park and any advice on where to go and flys to use would be greatly appreciated. Planning on 6Wt with buggers Streamers and terrestials. Thanks

right now all the streams there are all muddy in that area, heavy run off. I came through yesterday, and they are expecting more rain today.

You'll be fine. Find some hellgrammites too...you never know when a smallmouth might want one of those this time of year.

Keep us posted as to where you go and whats up with the trout and bass. I live an hour away, my son is just a mile or so from the creek. Looking to explore the water myself, I have never fished it.

Thanks

Well, it looks like I am going to the Loyalsock some time this week, new baby needs his grandmothers undivided attention. Soo.... I will be just off of Radio Club Road as a starting point, right where 87 heads north to the water.

Can anyone tell me how far the fly stretch is from I180/220? What land marks or roads should I be looking for, I would like to fish for trout of course, not smallies on this trip.

Thanks kindly,

Jesse

The special regs is about a 20 min drive up 87 from i180. If you want good trout fishing I would suggest maybe going farther up. Once your up into barbours every trib has a great chance of having brookies. If your gonna be around for a while try the area around worlds end state park.

i normally have some very good luck with brookies in fishing little bear creek along Rt 87 also try wallis run.

This time of year the Sock often gets pretty warm for trout fishing.

There are many smaller streams in the watershed that hold native brook trout and wild browns.

Use the Loyalsock State Forest map to locate these streams that are on public land.

You can pull up the map online. You can call their office and they'll send you a free map. Or you can stop at their office on Dry Run Road and get a map.

Just came back from there Monday, in the lower end it's likely to be too warm, but there are a lot of tributaries and spring feeding the creek, so with the water being up it might be ok.
I fished at the bridge on 220 near Laporte and the water was a bit warm there. I also fished some tribs and they were getting into the 60's, but fished fine.

Back