Montana

B

buckspa

Headed to Missoula, MT Aug in August for my bro's 40th. Any recommendations for a day float trip guide would be appreciated, as well as any other insight. Thanks.

I did a float on the clark fork in mid july with a guide when I was out there 2 years ago. I went with John perry and he was a great guide, first and only time being guided. I'm sure there are many other good ones out there though.
I would highly recommend fishing rock creek while your out there if you want to wade fish. It's close to missoula.

I was just out there and used: http://www.montanaangler.com/
They were great. It was very easy to plan what I wanted to do.
I had ideas for where I wanted to fish and they had suggestions. We mixed and matched and it worked out perfect.

They are also one of our web site sponsors here.
I was glad I used their service and plan to use them every time I go to MT and needed a guide.

You should be aware that this is a lower than normal snowpack year for much of MT, and rivers could become quite low by August, including the possibility of some stream closures if water temperatures get too high.

I would say pick your outfitter to line up a guide, but ask what would happen in the event of too low and/or too warm water conditions. I think some guides might move from the Missoula area to places like the Missouri River if that should happen; that could be too far for you to commute.

John

Back