Montana Packing List

timbow wrote:
3oh4 wrote:
Yea I’m already hounding myself to net-fish and chill, but I know how I am. When the competitiveness comes out I have to chase some of the best fish in the river. I can’t help it, just something about that big kype and head turning - so addictive.

I imagine I won’t need waders (I will take them for those late evenings just in case).

I’ve pretty much quite wet wading anymore. I’ve seen friends get some nasty infections from “clean waters”, like the Madison.

Yeah... Bring wet wading gear anyway. I only pack my waders if the forecast looks like it will be cool. Everyone knows a guy with a horror story, but I'll tell you a horror story.... ...Fishing all day, everyday in scorching sun and 80+ degree temps with full wading gear.

Bugs I'd be prepared for:

Lot's of caddis, obviously
epeorus (spinners only)
flav's
pmd's
callibaetis for stillwater

golden's and salmonflies will be about done on the Madison by mid-July but will just be getting started on the Yellowstone.

3oh4 wrote:
Yea I’m already hounding myself to net-fish and chill, but I know how I am. When the competitiveness comes out I have to chase some of the best fish in the river. I can’t help it, just something about that big kype and head turning - so addictive.

I imagine I won’t need waders (I will take them for those late evenings just in case).

Montana is one of the greatest trout fishing places to be found anywhere because of the mountains, the rivers and scenery as well as the fish.

If your idea is to head-hunt for big fish, then go for it, but there's much more to appreciate than just that on a trip out-west.

While there are certainly big trout to be found in those rivers, slinging big meat in the fall would be best for gator trout rather than the match the hatch flies in July.

Enjoy your time out there, take in the scenery and appreciate time spent with your family; and lastly appreciate any and all fish you catch.

Post up a good report with lots of pics.

Good luck.

Oh, and bring wading gear, rain gear and heavier clothes for sure.

I believe that salmon flies are normally pretty much finished below Gardiner by mid-July, although they will be in the Park in mid-July.

I’ve stayed on the Yellowstone in Paradise Valley for the past 18 years, on one of the best sections of the river for the salmon fly hatch, and the hatch is often on where we are at the end of June, or the beginning of July.

I always think the biggest mis-conception about chasing big fish is “slinging meat”, I catch most of my big fish on nymphs. I’ll leave the meat slinging to my brother in law.

How are the ISO/Slate Drake hatches mid-July?
Pat Rubber Legs In all sizes with Sulphurs and IsoS are all my favorite bugs to fish here. Sounds like I’ll have to up my caddis stash though.

PennKev I’m with you, taking waders off and being drenched in sweat is something I try to avoid. I can’t imagine the water temps being much colder than the tailwaters I wet wade here.

Isonychia distribution is mainly eastern US.

Yep. no ISOs. Eastern bugs like Adams and others can get you thru it but I'd expect to pick up a few local ties if you expect to fool any spring creek fish. If you're game - take a day or two and head down to the Henry's Fork. It's not far at all but you'll need an ID license. It is a river I would not want to miss if I was in the vicinity.

okay-if the runoff is over on the waters you are fishing[iffy in july some years-then PRAY,PRAY for a cloudy,overcast day [rare] but they do happen ,maybe even a little drizzle and you can have some of the best if not the best dry fly fishing on the planet- using
Royal wulffs [sp]- Big un's- I kid you not- unbelievable,even unimaginable until you hit it- we are talking take after take-and this is not salmon fly fishing -but for whatever reason they will nail that pattern like nothing else that's why the local will be ready- later in august hoppers will take over- ut if you catch the RW hatch-it doesn't get any better- no where,no how..

Timbow is right-on bluebird days-
sundown to sun up -but that gives you plenty of time when you are fishing between mountain ranges- about three hours on each end rest while the flatlanders are hard at it,then slip out when they are bushed and heading back to camp---or just fixin their breakfast-except there is an 11am hatch in yellowstone. sorta biffy fish but one that gets a lot of attention-prestige

Before I went to MT for the first time a few years ago in August, someone advised...take a fleece.

I ignored the advice.

Take a fleece. Repeat, take a fleece.

Enjoy it. My first year out there 10+ years ago, I was so focused on the fishing and didn't enjoy my surroundings.

Land the fish, sit on the bank and take it all in.

BTW TSA will not allow you to pack bear spray, you have to buy it once your'e out there.

Back