Montana Packing List

3oh4

Headed out to Montana for the first time this July, anything I should pack or not pack that a first timer might not think of???

Big foam attractors with prince nymph droppers unless they are taking pmd’s- if that’s the case, they will take your sulphers.

Yeah...bear spray. Buy it when you get there - not so sure TSA allows it onto a plane. I know I was glad I had mine at the ready when I had my encounter on the Madison River.

Sunscreen, lip balm, and extra water bottles.

madifly wrote:
Yeah...bear spray. Buy it when you get there - not so sure TSA allows it onto a plane. I know I was glad I had mine at the ready when I had my encounter on the Madison River.

Lets hear the story, if you have time.

6 wt if u were not planning to...

Montana is a rather big state - it has about 100,000 more square miles of land mass than PA does. So, a specific answer to your question could depend in part on what part of MT you intend to visit, where you intend to fish, etc.

In general, however, the suggestions you’ve received so far are all good ones though. I would add insect repellant, a good raincoat, and some warm clothing to your list of items that you don’t want to leave home without. Like bear spray, you hope you won’t need to use them but they can be life savers if and when they are needed.

Yes, the answers have been useful so far.

Will probably be on the Madison, Rock Creek and trout bumming it in and around those streams for a week. Rest of the family will be out the next week and we will be staying in Paradise Valley on the Yellowstone. My brother in law lived out there for a little while so we will have someone with knowledge of the area.

Any “non-tourist” brown trout streams would be appreciated as well. I’m not a numbers guy.

My 5 weight Sage One I think will be fine for the suggestion of having a 6 weight. It’s a pretty powerful rod IMO and slings it a lot better than the 6 Weight I own.

+1 on the 6 wt. And a 7 or 8 if you want to throw streamers.

You can get by with a 5 but if you're going across the country your better off bringing the right gear.

I fished the Madison once around the 3 dollar bridge area. I'd rather fish it with a 7 than a 5.

I can tell you from personal experience -few things can make you feel more foolish than to strut out into the Yellowstone with one of those rods that you know will get the job done- 3,4,5 wt. that was all you needed back home-they brag the wind blows 365 a year.
A 6wt. will be far more useful on the big waters-5wt. even a 4 can be fun on the smaller waters.
BUTT-ya don't go all the way out there to dink fish- you can do that at home- DON'T be under-gunned or you will be forking out big bucks or miss out on what makes Montana special--
That is advice from whatever end you care to take it from ,from an old hoss that lived there to fish for the 35 best years of my life...

I have a 9’6 6 weight Sage Response w/ a fighting butt. But I’ve used it and my Sage One 9’ 5 weight on rivers like the Yough and when you add a furled leader or sink tip my Sage One just blows the Response away. Maybe I’ll look into another rod before I head out then.

I could care less to catch 50 fish a day, like here I’m just looking for that one fish.

3oh4 wrote:
I could care less to catch 50 fish a day, like here I’m just looking for that one fish.

Just an opinion from someone who has also lived in the area you are visiting, take it for what it’s worth. The 2 specific rivers you mentioned, while great fisheries, are not where I would spend a significant amount of time looking for that one fish. If you are set on sticking a good one on the Madison, focus your time closer to Ennis, sleep during the day and fish the off hours. Bring whatever rod you are comfortable with throwing a line like the streamer max long 250gr.

The Green, Jefferson, Beaverhead, Mo and Wind are rivers you may want to consider.

Will def research those more. Will not be fishing from a drift boat though. Honestly, I have no restriction issues on area the first week out.

Most importantly, just have fun and enjoy the trip. You will be surrounded by some of the best trout fishing and views in the country. Don’t get lost in the hunt for big fish and forget to look around and fish waters for what they are.

Yea I’m already hounding myself to net-fish and chill, but I know how I am. When the competitiveness comes out I have to chase some of the best fish in the river. I can’t help it, just something about that big kype and head turning - so addictive.

I imagine I won’t need waders (I will take them for those late evenings just in case).

Lots of good advice. I Remember a trip out there that was twenty plus years ago and the things that I still remember vividly aren't the biggest fish.

The scenery and wild Brookies rising on the uppermost reaches of the Big Hole. When they they stopped we blasted big Whitefish for awhile on nymphs. I was rudely dragging one to shore when I realized it was a 13" Brook, easily twice the size of the risers. Duh...

The Wise River was easy to wade and beautiful. The two things I remember most were my first Arctic Grayling and plotting how to get a rising fish for a long time. My first cast involved feeding a lot of slack line downstream but somehow I rose, hooked and landed a nice 13" Rainbow. We celebrated later at the Wise River Club with some adult beverages. Miss those days!

3oh4 wrote:
Yea I’m already hounding myself to net-fish and chill, but I know how I am. When the competitiveness comes out I have to chase some of the best fish in the river. I can’t help it, just something about that big kype and head turning - so addictive.

I imagine I won’t need waders (I will take them for those late evenings just in case).

I’ve pretty much quite wet wading anymore. I’ve seen friends get some nasty infections from “clean waters”, like the Madison.

Sure those weren’t from the women after the hatch? Jk

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like protection from the sun, bigger rod, and warmer clothes for the mountain air are top priorities.

Different question: Bugs! Outside of monster stones, are their bugs the same size as ours? Or do they get that Penns Creek +1 size up for everything?

I'd try to figure out where you're planning on spending time, then check the hatch charts for what you're likely to encounter. Or, just visit a fly shop and they'll tell you what to get.

I distinctly remember a morning on the Madison down from the Slide, where no one in our group was doing well, to the extent that half of them were packing up at lunch to go elsewhere. I found a size 22 baetis under my hat brim, even though we didn't see much in the air or any risers. I tied on a size 22 wd40 and started laying into fish. I've seen them key in on tiny pmds as well, even in rough water.

As far as other advice. Don't be afraid to go heavier on tippet, and be proficient and flexible with using different techniques as the situation demands. On my next trip out, I plan on bringing a Skagit head to swing big wets on big water as a backup.

3oh4 wrote:

Different question: Bugs! Outside of monster stones, are their bugs the same size as ours? Or do they get that Penns Creek +1 size up for everything?

Aside from PMD imitations you can generally fish 14's and larger and do well. Whatever flies you already have for caddis and smaller mayflies will do fine. Really load up on Princes in #14 and #12, Lightning Bugs in #16 and #14 for the Madison. These are great any-time flies and are a good choice to fish on a two fly rig while trying to match the naturals with the other fly on your leader. They will also wreak havoc on the not so famous creeks you may fish.

Round out your selection with Pat's Rubber Legs, $3 Dollar Dips and Krystal Dips, and Chubby Chernobyls and you're set for the Madison in July. Actually, that selection will serve you well on most waters in SW MT.

Back