Montana Late May

F

FlyGuy29

Today I found out that I will have an opportunity to go to Montana during the last week of May. I would like to do some fishing while I'm out there, but I understand that this is during the runoff period.

With that being said, I would like to try to find somewhere to do some fishing while I'm out there. I will be in the NW corner near Kalispell and Glacier National. Just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions.

My best advice is to contact Jim Mitchell an outfitter I use based out of Hamilton MT. Google his Facebook/website Montana Hunting & Fishing Adventures. Jim is guiding another member of this site sometime soon. Send me a PM and I will hook you up.

I don't have any special knowledge of the area but I'd check out the tailwater below the Hungry Horse Dam.

If it's a low and slow and runoff there can be some awesome caddis fishing in May on most of the Montana rivers--if the rivers are up you might want to spend time on Fort Peck res.. or any of the other lakes..don't know much about that area but in most of Montana there are spring creeks[which can get backed up by the rivers] so check with local shops-pretty up there and you will see why they call it the big sky country-spot mountains 50 miles away.just watch out on 93--

Bit of a drive from Kallispell, about 2hours irrc, but I'd seriously look at the Kootenai River to the west over near Libby. Huge tailwater that might not be as affected by runoff. Dave Blackburn is the guy to get a hold of up in that neck of the woods:

http://goflyfishmontana.com/

Another decent online reference I've used to rough out some trip lans:

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/National_parks/glacier/Glacier-Park.shtm

Hope for water that can be fished with a dry. Plan on tossing streamers or big nymphs. Streamers would be me first choice personally. It is grizzly country, bring bear spray and know how to use it.

If the runoff isn't too bad a fun way to fish the caddis hatch is to use a muddler marabou [very lightly weighted] as a tail fly and a tent type caddis as a dropper. Let the dropper fly dance on the surface-usually catch plenty of run of the mills on that and occasionally catch a big one on the streamer as some good size fish will be cruising the banks looking to nab a fish dinner.
Muddler marabous either black or white size 2 or 4 really is the best streamer for that..
Fishing starts as soon as sun leaves water and last until ten that time of year.
And yes,watch out for bears-I've walked up on them near the parking places-no time to be quiet-make noise and they will "scat" and you won't. PI
That is night of the grizzly country and mountain lions are all around.

Snow pack was higher this year in the west, generally. Tailwaters may be clear, but they could still be a bit higher than normal. Are there spring creeks where you are going? They might yield.

Here are water and snow pack maps as of 3/1, but there could be a lot more unstable weather this spring. A local fly shop will give you the best info on where to go.

NRCS SNOW and WATER SUPPLY 2016

FlyGuy,

I'd also consider the possibility that certain high-elevation passes might not be open before June 1st.

Having lived a little south of that area, traveling to various spots in May can be tricky.

Consider this chart as a point of reference for current snowpack: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/mt_swepctnormal_update.pdf . Your area of interest is currently at 100% snowpack, or at historically normal levels. While the amount of snowpack is a big factor to summertime flows, the nature of the late Spring / early Summer can also impact.

Most likely, run-off will make fishing most streams quite difficult. There are not many of MT's famous tailwater fisheries near Kalispell.

Another suggested a guide out of Hamilton, but that is roughly five to six hours of driving (one way) from Kalispell; the drive around Flathead Lake (Rt. 35) is one of the more intimidating roads to drive on in poor conditions.

I think you've received very good advice in seeking lower elevation lakes to fish. While I've never fished the SF below Hungry Horse, that could be a local stream option for you.

You'll at very least be in some beautiful country during your trip.

I've read a couple replies regarding bears. It should go without saying that when in or near the Rocky Mountain Front, you should be bear prepared. Sooner or later, you'll see an open season for grizz in MT. The recommendation is already there from the State's top biologist's.

It is possible that the runoff might not be happening yet by the last week of May in NW MT, depending on the weather.

What I would suggest is to take your rod and equipment, but don't get your hopes up. Then when you get there check in with a local fly shop or 2 and check about what the local opportunities might be, if any.
I go to MT every year for the summer, usually getting there sometime in May. While I don't have to check with the local fly shops since I already know where to fish, I stil have to wait until I get there to check out the local stream and weather conditions to see what is fishable.

Thanks for the info. I will be flying out, and driving back. So what I may try to do is fish a few of the lakes in glacier, and make my first stop near the big horn, and do a day trip on it. How is the bighorn fishing this time of year? (I assume good since it's tail water)

Back