Montana Decision

englishprof

englishprof

We're definitely going to the western part of the State. Have to finalize plans this week. It's either a house on the East or West Forks of the Bitterroot, the main Bitterroot or Rock Creek. Which would you pick? We'll be there for a week and will move around for sure, but like a base with fishing out the front door.

Rock Creek if your looking for a little seclusion, you can drive the dirt road for miles and pull off where ever you see fit. If you keep going you eventually go over a pass and can head back down the other side to Hamilton and the Bitterroot. The Bitterroot Valley has a little more going on, at least by SW MT standards. Hamilton has a brewery and a few restaurants. Do you have a boat? If not Rock Creek, the West Branch, and the various braids of the main stem Bitterroot around Victor are your best bets for wade fishing. If you want to get in a boat my bro in-law is a guide in Missoula.

Rock Creek
RockCrick_zps5deeed46.jpg

Thanks for the comment and great information. That is a fantastic picture!!!!! Sent you a PM.

bitterroot valley is awesome.i would suggest a base somewhere near hamilton where you can access both branches and the main stem without driving too far.many of the tribs in this area offer amazing smaller water fishing as well.some of my favorites are lost horse creek,big creek,lolo creek and dont skip skalkaho creek.(lower end is private,but short drive upstream is worth it).if you have the funds i would suggest booking a day of wade fishing with chuck stranahan early in your trip as you will learn a TON about the area which will lead to more time on the water for the rest of your trip.

Fish,

Thanks for the input, especially the information on the smaller creeks. Found this which refers to some of those you mentioned. We'll definitely give them a shot.

http://www.bitterrootfishingloft.com/bitteroot_fishing.htm

Chuck Stranahan has a great reputation. Nice website also. We'll look him up. We booked a place on the East Fork for July 5th through the 12th. It's really not that far from any of those smaller creeks, the West Fork or the main river. Thanks again.

Prof and I are mulling over our travel plans for the Bitterrot. Fly to Spokane WA then get a flight over to Misoula or simply rent a car in Spokane and drive to Conner Mt [4 1/2 hr drive]. We have to rent a car in either event. Or grind it out and drive straight through from Philly which is a 36 hour drive. We have some flexibility here as our cabin rental starts July 5 which give us the holiday of the 4th to start driving. Wondering if any of you made the trip and how did you do it.

LONG drive. But doable if u got the right guys and time.
I'd suggest the flight to WA and then drive. Once you add the extra cost of a connector flight along with the time to switch planes, etc you can be in Conner driving, and see some nice country. Plus I'd assume a rental car would be a few bucks cheaper in Spokane versus Missoula. ? Either way, u r going to Gods Country so enjoy and best of luck. Well b out there July 3-9 as well. Missouri, Blackfoot, Madison, and Yellowstone.

I drove to the Bighorn in eastern MT from Pittsburgh in about 24 hours with Bruno, CSoult, and Andrew (not active on the board). The drive home was from Yellowstone and took about 30 hours. With four guys we were able to drive straight through. The decision to drive saved us the cost of a rental vehicle, and was also cheaper than four airfares. With just two of you, the savings won't be as great and you won't have the stamina to drive straight through.

Have you looked at other airports?

My opinion is any savings you may see in driving you will quickly loose in time. Two guys driving comfortably stoping for gas, food, and bio breaks will burn up several days round trip. Days you should be fishing! My brother and I did a 14 day tour and disliked the driving. Every trip since he has flown.

You still have time to rethink your trip. Bozeman is the best hub for a trip IMO and I'm sure most will agree. I will also agree that driving is a waste of time when you could be fishing. Furthermore, you can plan an awesome trip simply by using the MT.gov website. You can find hotel info for cities in the state here http://www.visitmt.com/places_to_stay/hotels_and_motels/ It's so easy to plan out an awesome trip. There's so many better systems than the Bitterroot.

You guys didn't mention a time frame. But I wouldn't even think about driving that kind of distance unless I had at least 2 weeks off.
Another thing to consider - the distances between streams are usually quite long out west. If you plan on fishing several areas, you'll be adding a good bit more driving to the already long trip out and back.
Personally, I've flown on all of my ten trips out.

I'm probably headed to Bozeman in August this year. Plan to fly. Tickets are in the 480-510 range from Pittsbugh with a stop or 2, but have randomly seen them cheaper from Canton/Akron. So check some of the smaller airports around you too. May be a deal.

I haven't researched a single stream yet. Hoping my "guide" will point me in the right direction for most of my fishing. I'll do some research once the plans are in the books.

as far as travel mode i have flown out every time but once.about ten years ago i drove out and back with my dad and brother...never again!while some great memories were made during our two week adventure,there were some trying times while driving.my brother and i have made the trip together several times since;flying each time;and gotten along much better.

I`ve flown into Missoula many times, its great seeing the bitterroot from the air, all the twist and turns and side channels and where it meets the clark, i love the bitterroot, i was always there in july, and it fished much better on a cloudy day, as the clark it made no difference 95 deg and sunny water temp around 70, and always had rising fish

stayed/fished near Darby- great Broot base- E/W Forks- Main Broot-Rock Cr.-etc email for slamdunk patterns-tips
Rustifer

Upset to hear that the Naughty Moose is such a bad place to eat.

Best food- Ekstrom stage station on Rock Creek, Guy's steakhouse in Lolo
Best fishing- East/West Fork, Rock Creek, Main Broot, Skalkaho, Burnt Fork, Trapper creeks all good small streams
Best nymph- Red CJ sz 16(you can't have enough) & San juan worm
Best dry- Purple Haze
Best drive- Skalkaho pass- shortcut to Rock creek
Worst moment- lost luggage- delivered 26 hours later!
Best town- Darby but obey 25mph
Best flyshop- Bitterroot fly co in Darby- very helpful! Kingfisher or Grizzly hackle in Missoula
Worst flyshop- Stranahan- never open

Good Luck! pm for more info

a friend and I drove from clearfield, pa to jackson hole, wy

trip out took roughly 30 hours total with stops and screwing around, but we did it continuous

trip back was from sun valley, id with crappy weather and longer drive took almost 36 hours....

definitely saved money on plane tickets...at the time I ran the numbers it ended up being about $600 savings each

real lesson: the drive out is easy with anticipation....the drive home sucked but at the time didn't suck $600 worth

My wife and I drove straight from Driggs, Idaho(over the mountain from Jackson Hole) to home last year. About 36 hours. Best way to see the country. And check out the Wyoming state trooper cars unfortunately.

Been out 4 times drove every time. Doubt I'll fly. Its only 24ish hours to the Bighorn!

Back