Montana and Wyoming

zenherper

zenherper

Hi Folks,
It's been a while since I've posted, but it was nice to see many of you at the Jam.

I'll be making a trip to SW Montana and NW Wyoming this June. I'll mainly be around the Bozeman area and down into Yellowstone and Teton. Currently, I plan to fish the Madison, Gallitin, Yellowstone, and Firehole. If anybody has any suggestions on "must see" places or recommendations on backcountry streams, I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to PM me. :)

Thanks!

zenherper wrote:
Hi Folks,
It's been a while since I've posted, but it was nice to see many of you at the Jam.

I'll be making a trip to SW Montana and NW Wyoming this June. I'll mainly be around the Bozeman area and down into Yellowstone and Teton. Currently, I plan to fish the Madison, Gallitin, Yellowstone, and Firehole. If anybody has any suggestions on "must see" places or recommendations on backcountry streams, I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to PM me. :)

Thanks!

June is a little early for the rivers you mentioned because of the runoff from snow in the mountains. If you have not booked your trip, I suggest you delay until later in July. If you have it booked, no worries, there's always a place to fish. The key is to hold off and check for conditions before you decide where to fish.

Good luck on your trip!

When I was there for a summer, the Firehole fished the earliest of the streams you mention. I'm pretty sure I fished the Madison around Ennis in mid to late June. I caught some pretty nice browns when the salmon fly nymphs were trying to make their way to the banks.

The lakes may be a good bet early as well. I got into good numbers of grayling but can't remember the timing on them, though I believe it was early in the season.

BTW, the Yellowstone River cannot be fished in the park until mid July.

Great info guys. Thank you. A few guys told me it was a mild/warm winter and they expect an early Spring Runoff. I will be there the last 2 weeks in June, so hopefully I can get into some decent water. I've already seen a report of Salmon flies coming off in some places.

Give these folks a call....

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/

I'll be headed that way next week. The Madison is a tailwater and should be fishable. Here's a link to a runoff projection for most of the rivers in the area of the Park.

http://www.parksflyshop.com/news.html

The Madison below quake is always fishable but it will be muddy ,should be starting to clear and drop when you are there.Since salmon flies[stone flies] crawl to the bank that's where you want to concentrate-above south fork might be good place to start---should be clearer but expect more fisherman.However all depends on snow pack-
Down in the Bozeman area big black muddler marabous fished in the evening use to bring up trout that were TROUT but ennis lake was silting/warming up so size and numbers were dropping-
sorry for rambling- nostalgia,however been away or 15 years now-better info else where.
The last two weeks of june should be good but if still not fun to fish don't overlook upper East Gallatin right along the freeway,Sheilds River ,and other lesser known but good places..Upper Ruby etc..

I recommend fishing non-famous streams, for at least part of the time.

Maybe fish the famous streams some, but then look at the maps of public lands, and pick out some that just look good on the maps, and try them.

For several reasons:

Not crowded.

The fishing can be very good (but not always of course).

The enjoyment of exploration and discovery.

2nd that emotion---
frankly I forgot the names of many jewels I fished that time of years-fly shops can help--plenty of places-upper big hole,Harlowtown,sixteen mile creek-
If you get into Jellystone ,the most over rated of all is the firehole--My opinion and Bud Lillys is the fish are a weaker strain due to the water quality-however if you can't resist-try a 6 or 8 lt.spruce fly streamer or similar fished right along banks as early as you dare-even though supposed to not have forage fish the trout will hit and you will have the river to yourself as everyone concentrates on the afternoon hatch[PMD's ?].The main Madison in the park has bigger and tougher fish.I realize many will think it's a crock about Firehole trout not being the fighters as other streams but its true.

Thank you for all the responses. I purchased a few books on the areas, which include some of the tributaries and access points, etc... I look forward to exploring, even though my anxiety level is a bit high as I'm traveling alone.

All of your comments are appreciated.

one last point-serious rattlesnake country in places ,others none hard rock -no denning spots-soft rock plenty--
also if able take a handgun-if you are going to camp out it can be mighty,mighty lonely at some of the out of the way places-I got into a standoff with a couple of yoyo's one night.
As far as wading big rivers be careful about edging down gravel bars-make sure there is not a dropoff between you and shore-might have to swim for it if you can't go up stream-
wading staff comforting but you can use rod butt if you have to make turn
Most importantly have the right weapons-you can feel pretty silly standing there on a big river with a gemmie stick-trust me on that---have fun.

and if you want to sound local-that's up the canyon to Yellowstone and Teton country from Bozeman and down the canyon going back.
Elevation not map direction .lol

Regulations for YNP.

Yellowstone Lake opens with the general season
Streams flowing into Yellowstone Lake, its tributaries, and areas- within 100 yards (91 m) of each stream’s outlet open July 15. Access to many areas is restricted by Bear Management Area Closures, see
the Yellowstone Backcountry Trip Planner for details.

Yellowstone River opens July 15.
Permanently closed to fishing:
• Fishing Bridge and an area one mile (1.6 km) downstream (toward Canyon) and 1/4 mile (.4 km) up- stream (toward Yellowstone Lake) from the bridge.
• The Yellowstone River 100 yards (91 m) up- and downstream of LeHardys Rapids.

pete41 wrote:

also if able take a handgun-if you are going to camp out it can be mighty,mighty lonely at some of the out of the way places-I got into a standoff with a couple of yoyo's one night.

I have been trying to find the regulations for driving through other states with a sidearm. I have a LTCC for PA, but I am finding conflicting info regarding travel through other states with one.

I'm glad I still have a few weeks to plan. Apparently, I have a lot to figure out.

Heading west to your destination states, the only states without reciprocity are Illinois (big surprise), Minnesota, and Nebraska. Federal law allows you to travel through states with a handgun as long as it is legal in your home and destination states. You must have the handgun unloaded and separate from ammo while passing through the states without reciprocity. Do not stop in those states. Staying for the night or even getting a meal could give reason to say that the state was your destination.

INAL (so research this all yourself) and I know that at least NY has tried to arrest people contrary to Federal law. As long as you drive straight through though, you should be fine. I'd keep the speed down as there is no sense in asking for a conversation with a police officer.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Speaking as someone who spent 31 years living in Bozeman----I would strongly advise anyone who can arrange to do so--plan your fishing trip to Montana mid sept.. to mid oct...and don't let guides or visiting fishermen tell you that isn't the prime time-it is. also guides and dudes are thinking hunting so rivers less crowded,water ideal and browns are getting horny and the weather usually indian summerish- just throwing that out for anyone thinking about heading west. And if you're young and reasonably free,you would love living there.I didn't want to move but wifes health motivated bringing back east to be with family.Good advice about guns-unloaded in trunk,drive carefully.

zenherper wrote:
Thank you for all the responses. I purchased a few books on the areas, which include some of the tributaries and access points, etc... I look forward to exploring, even though my anxiety level is a bit high as I'm traveling alone.

All of your comments are appreciated.

Zen,

That area is one of my favorite spots on the planet. I've been there many times; in fact I have a cabin booked for late August in Paradise Valley between Livingston and the north gate of YNP....and the Yellowstone River is 30 paces out my back door!

Buy your books, do your research, learn all you can and dream about it!...but don't get locked in to any river or area, there are plenty of spectacular places to fish.

Rolf was kind enough to give you a link for Blue Ribbon Flies. For years I have used them as my home base out there and link for all the up-to-date info. Check with them and make you plan based on current conditions...especially in June.

You're in for a trip of a lifetime. My only advise to you is fish hard, but look up once in a while and appreciate the beauty all around you. And leave some fish for me. Good luck.

Edit: Oh, and I agree with Pete...the Firehole is a cool place (no pun intended) to visit and maybe wet a line, but I wouldn't spend too much time there fishing. Too many other places to see and fish.

The Madison below Hebgen is fishing fine. Drove by it in snowstorm on Saturday. I agree on going to lesser known streams, you catch more fish. Im living on the Henry's Fork in Idaho for the summer. I'll be doing some fishing in SW MT over the next month and let you know what I find out. As far as WY, the Gros Ventre, Greys River and Hoback are good choices close to the Tetons. Can't go wrong in just about any direction.

acristickid wrote:
Im living on the Henry's Fork in Idaho for the summer.

Damn. Work is for suckers!

Back