Money pit?

Over the last fifty years I have probably spent at least 100K on fly fishing and the toys I need to pursue the avocation and it was money well spent and I never thought of it as a "money pit".

Money pit = classic car enthusiast. Try racing to dig the pit to depths you didn't know existed. Anything that involves machinery too.... Woodworking, metal fab.

2500 for a hand built cane for is nothing compared to that stuff.

It's all relative. 25 years ago, I was stalking some of the notoriously furtive trouts in Valley, when a horse pulled up next to me. The splashes made the trouts depart, and I was about to lay a few words on the rider when I saw it was a Ranger.

In fact the Ranger was a cute young lass, who greeted me with a smile and asked if I would participate in a survey. In an effort to make a personal connection, seeing as how she had already spoiled my catching, she allowed as how her dad was a fisherman - for bass, on lakes.

She had a clipboard and ran through the usual baselining questions. Then she asked me something I had never been asked before: "How much money do you have in (f)fishing tackle?"

Well, this was maybe 100 rods and just as many reels ago, (and a whole lot of fly tying stuff), but I ran through my memory of my spreadsheets, mentally calculating that the sum was maybe $50,000.

She durn near fell off her horse and expressed amazement. But I countered with: "Your dad fishes for bass, right?"
"Does he have a bass boat?" Affirmatives for both.
"And doesn't he need a pickup or SUV big enough to haul it?"
"And he probably has several, maybe a half dozen or dozen rigs ready to go on the boat". Nods.

I think she saw the light.

FarmerDave wrote:

Reminded me of an episode of Last Man Standing.

Mandy got here celphone taken away. Then Kyle showed her how to use Mike's ham radio. She really got into it and proclaimed it was just like Twitter only she didn't have to type.

Something like that.

Mandy (Molly Ephraim) is hot.

"Last Man Standing" is a good show. I think it's the basic layout of "Home Improvement".

moon1284 wrote:
Schaadt was a great fly fisherman.

Sorry, I didn't know Schaadt.

ryansheehan wrote:
Flyfishing42 wrote:
Look at Bill Shaadt hands down the best fly fisherman there ever was and ever will be. He found used and recycled fly rods etc. He found and scavanged all his gear and never paid a dime. You should be blessed to even have a fly rod. People in most countries use a stick and a string. Quite your whining and get fishing.

Wow, that's quite (see how I used that correctly)a statement. This should get everyone going.
Oh and by the way, Ronnie Kittredge, hands down, best fly fisherman that ever was or will be. "Hey" recycles treble hooks from lost catfish rigs.

Now that's funny.

BrookieChaser wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

Reminded me of an episode of Last Man Standing.

Mandy got here celphone taken away. Then Kyle showed her how to use Mike's ham radio. She really got into it and proclaimed it was just like Twitter only she didn't have to type.

Something like that.

Mandy (Molly Ephraim) is hot.

"Last Man Standing" is a good show. I think it's the basic layout of "Home Improvement".

True, but I'm an old man who doesn't like to be called a pervert.

On the other hand, I think Vanessa is hot. Middle aged geologist with nice boulders.

I don't watch much TV, and didn't discover that show until last year. I like it, but I also liked Home Improvements.

FarmerDave wrote:
And speaking of money pit hobbies (Greenghost), I thing I can add Beekeeping to that list.

You talked me into doing it for one more year. It's all your fault! ;-)

Ended up buying bees for 6 hives. Then I put out swarm traps near a wild hive and another optimal spot. Ended up with 5 wild swarms when all was said and done. Between that and a split I did, I was up to 12 hives by late July, which is 3 times more than I had any other year. I then pulled the traps.

Because of the increased number, I probably spend close to 2 grand in supplies over the year. But I did get about $300 worth of honey out of them. :roll:

Well, I checked 9 of those hives the other day and only 1 was still alive (multiple reasons) What's weird it that the survivor hive happens to be the only hive that I fed a jar of that honey based substance that I brought to the jam last year. You remember, that stuff in the mason jar. So maybe that stuff has medicinal value afterall. The bees sucked it up, and I can tell you that bees make angry drunks.;-)

I haven't checked the other three hives because of their location, but I'd bet money that no more than 1 is still alive. Two were late swarms, that likely didn't make it.

Now that I have all that new wooden-ware, I figured I can't give it up, but I gaurandamntee that if I start catching swarms again, I'm selling some of the swarms instead of the honey. ;-)

I do it for the environment. ;-)

Sorry just saw this, Dave. So let's recap... $2,000 investment for $300 worth of honey? Screw the honey. You need to sell that mason jar sweetness. Call it "Nectorade" -- "Getting a buzz has never been sweeter." :lol:

Nectorade. LOL! You should have been in marketing.;-);-)

I made that stuff by accident. Just think how good it would be if I made it on purpose.

But alas, the Goobermint red tape would kill me.

P.S. I still have some. If I make it to the jam again this year, I'll try to remember to bring some.

No. A lot of money can be thrown at any hobby. Skiiing, hunting, heck, bowling, whatever. It has certain expenses, but it's not a money pit.

Syl

Sylvaneous wrote:
No. A lot of money can be thrown at any hobby. Skiiing, hunting, heck, bowling, whatever. It has certain expenses, but it's not a money pit.

Syl

I agree, and I look at it this way.

From a personal perspective, it only becomes a money pit when I no longer enjoy it, and yet, I continue to do it.

I worked to support my hobbies so that I would have a reason to work.Otherwise I wouldn't have had any reason to work if I didn't have hobbies that required supporting-
you can take that to mean that my hobbies were what I lived for---

Fishing is only a money pit if one allows it to be so. There are probably a fair number of anglers who collect more equipment than they will ever use, have more variations of equipment than necessary, and purchase more expensive and technical equipment than the fisheries that they utilize require. Remember, however, that all of this purchasing power contributes to the maintenance and development of state fisheries programs around the country through the fed excise tax that is built into each purchase and returned to the states based on number of fishing licenses sold in each state.

Back