Mole fly question

Flyfishmedic732

Flyfishmedic732

Lately I find myself tying the Mole Fly pattern... all the recipes that I have looked at call for brown beaver dubbing and olive CDC to imitate the beatis pattern. My question is has any every tried to imitate say a sulphur pattern or any other mayfly in the 16-20 range with that pattern. But only changing the color of the dubbing?

I would say it would work - most simple patterns work in different colors. For the 16 sulphur a shuck may help some days though - especially as the season goes along and the trout have seen plenty of sulphur patterns. That pattern should work on small caddis too.

Yeah you can tie that style of fly in multiple colors and styles.

would this particular fly be fished as a dry, wet or nymph? I know that its kind of a dumb question considering im tying it, but i never fished it before

A flat head screwdriver can be used to turn flathead screws, wedged in to turn phillips' head, a punch, a pry bar, a hammer, a pin, a battery tester, a back scratcher, a nail pick, a stabbing weapon, or any other use one can think of for a small steel bar with a handle.

You can apply any colour and materials to a hook that you want, and use them anyway you want. Why assume what someone tells you is the only way?

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

That fly is generally considered a dry, but some times if you snap it to go underwater at the end of a drift it will catch a fish. If the CDC is in decent shape it can pop back up to the surface after it has been pulled underwater. Some days that is the trigger.

The mole fly is really a style of tying, rather than a specific pattern. It's generic, like "Catskill dry", "Parachute" or "Compara Dun".

It really just means a dry with a wing that extends over eye of the hook. (It wasn't originally CDC.) The name comes from the River Mole in England, but it was probably a French fly. (As opposed to a French fry).

Back