Mmmmm…. Minty! The Ross FlyStik Fly Rod Line-Up

Fredrick

Fredrick

Ross Worldwide is a manufacturer that’s recognized for its superb fly reels. Anyone who’s carried around a fly rod for more than a few years has heard of the Ross Cimarron, the Colorado, and the Gunnison. The company claims the honor of being the number-one selling fly reel brand in the United States. Beyond fly reels, Ross builds one of the finer Center Pin reels for those who practice that black art, as well as a uniquely adjustable reel arm that will help serious anglers dial perfect balance into their rigs. For more than 35 years, Ross has been setting standards for well-designed and innovative products, including some very fine fly rods.

I met Brad Befus, the National Sales Manager for Ross, at the ICAST trade show in July, 2009. During the course of our conversation in a booth stocked with precision-machined winches, towering spey rods and rugged fishing pliers, I caught sight of something exciting for any committed warm water fanatic. A bouquet of cool, bright green, the FlyStik® series is designed for those of us who spend inordinate amounts of time brooding over bass. A collection of three fly rods, the series is touted as “tournament length fly rods that could be legally fished in the Bassmaster Classic!” I’m eager to see that happen one day. I firmly believe there are times when a fly rod is the most effective instrument for fooling these aggressive fish. Besides which, having just finished reviewing a quartet of serious bass rods how could I resist adding the FlyStiks to the tally? Mr. Befus agreed to arrange for a 90-day loan of all three FlyStik fly rods.
Hers is the rest of the article

http://flyfishohio.com/Ross_FlyStik_Review.htm

I'm a bit of a skeptic on the "tournament" length bass fly rods. Call me jaded but this just seems like the latest sales gimmick. I just don't see many FFers competing in actual bass tourneys that require conventional rods limited to a certain length. With that said, I'm sure they're nice fly rods.

I wish they would stop the tourney gimmick also . Shorts rods can be a pain some times when wading for bass . They are on the other hand excellent fishing from a boat .

I wish they would stop the tourneys , no wait i take that back , let 'em go , keeps 'em off my choice in waters.

A collection of three fly rods, the series is touted as “tournament length fly rods that could be legally fished in the Bassmaster Classic!”

http://flyfishohio.com/Ross_FlyStik_Review.htm

Only one casting, spin casting or spinning rod (8 foot maximum length from butt of handle to rod tip) and reel may be used at any one time. - Rules at bassmaster. Fly rods are not allowed in bass tourneys. It is marketing BS getting people to think that they are allowed when they are not.

My question is: who would fly fish in a bass tournament? Even if I were in an open trout tournament, I'd choose conventional or spinning gear. The object of competition is not enjoyment, but winning. Spinning gear is (for the most part) faster and easier to use than fly gear. It's the best way to get numbers. Look at franktroutangler. He fishes for numbers and chooses the most effective method for them.

I fish for enjoyment, and that usually means I am fly fishing. That's why competitive fly fishing is a colossal joke in my eyes.

I saw these in the new Cabelas cataalog and wondered how they were.Good review,and they sound like a winner for a stream/small river rod while wading.I may just buy one.I have to choose TFO Clouser rod,Reddington Predator or on of these.

I also heard years ago that fly rods werent allowed in BASS tourneys.But who cares ? If they are good rods and we got more choices for bass rods,its a good thing.

Ratgunner they are good while wading until you start getting thigh deep and need long casts .

Jayl I would use a fly rod exclusively at a journey to see how I would do . I think if I had a boat with some practice I would do fairly well :-D

As for fishing the flypole in a tourney. If you think about bass fishing from the standpoint of covering every inch of the particular structure you are fishing, you can certinaly do that with greater ease and speed with the whippy-stick, that is, for certain types of cover. If you're fishing bankside cover, you can put the fly in, fish the zone, make a back cast, and put it back. With spinning or cinventional you waste time with retrieving the bait back to the boat. With deep cover, on the other hand, you'd waste time counting the fly line down to the depth you want to fish: you could get a jig or some other wieghted rig down there more quickly.

FYI, a bunch of the pro bass guys fish flypoles in the off season.

I love the flyrod, and even though there are times during which gear is the better choice for actually catching fish, I stick with it. But I firmly believe the fly rod is just as effective as gear--if not more so--a lot of the time. This is evident in most of the fishing I've done in fresh or salt. I think many people harbor the idea that the flyrod is somehow inferior to other types of techniques when it comes down to catching fish. Mostly, this seems to be because it is so easy to become a decent fisherman with gear, while greatness with the flypole eludes many: flyfishing is much harder.

Sorry about getting away from the thread title, but it always gets me when people suggest that gear fishing is always more effective than fly fishing. That's like saying that no matter what type of job you're doing, the hammer is always the best tool. C'mon.

As for my thoughts on the performance of these tourney rods, I'll borrow a line of my buddy's when he was shown a 3' 6wt recently built by a guy that used to frequent a shop I worked at: he politely said, "A three foot six wieght! Why, sir, that is the equivalent of having a one inch @#%$. Sure, it's possible, but who would want one?"

I talked to the Redington Rep at the Fly Show and he said that Tournament guys use the bass rods in the Tourny's :roll:

Not sure on the debate on regulations, but I could see a fly rod being just a part of the arsenal of a tournament angler. Like Fredrick said, it CAN be the best way to catch bass. Those guys adapt to the current situations at a second notice. I wouldn't be surprised if it was allowed, that you don't see a fly rod on some of those boats for certain situations. I also think it would be neat to see.

I’m considering buying a 7’ 11” rod, but not for tournament fishing. Most of my bass fishing is from an inflatable pontoon with a 9’ 8wt. The shorter rod may have some advantages. The 7’ 11” rod should make netting fish easier and the shorter length stout rod may make fighting fish in weed beds easier. The only concern is how it casts while sitting low to the water in the pontoon. I think this rod may be designed for casting a little higher off the water.

One thing the short rod will make easier: you can just erase from you mind considering a 65 foot cast from your belly boat with a short rod unless it resembles a spinning rod. You also don't have to worry about picking up much line with a leader. You could have only an 8 ft leader and all of it out of the tip top and still not have any line beyond the tip.

No, I'd never get one unless I used it exclusively on a boat and even then, only to shooting out short, low line casts. For LMB, flyfishing is strictly a still-water, pitch and strip game, more akin to standard fishing and tackle. Still, I'd prefer AT LEAST an 8.6 or Clouser's 8ft 9 inch rod. Only an 8 ft seems silly with no other considerations. Heck, try a 7.5 footer! 7 flat! Even better.

Back