Minimalist Fishing

thebassman

thebassman

Hey,

Just curious if anyone takes a more minimal approach when it comes to fly fishing. If so, then how is it going?

Something I have tried since last year, and was wondering if I was the only one.

My set-up is one rod/reel, maybe two tippet spools, a few leaders, one fly box, and maybe flotant/indicators.

For longer days though I find the lack of space in the chest pack killer when I cannot take water, or a snack. I am looking to get a large waist pack like the Umpqua Ledge 500 pack so I can take water/snack. I guess I could always just take a backpack with the chest pack.

Who else packs the minimal amount? or do you take a whole fly shop with you?

I used to use a vest and "take a whole fly shop with me" and then some, but I eventually got smart and bought a chest/waist pack. I got the Arroyo by Fishpond.

In it I usually have one or sometimes two small fly boxes(as well as the "fly desk/patch" thing), stuff like split shot, floatant, and bobbers, and some leaders and other small odds and ends that can fit. On the outside I have nippers, forceps, and tippet spools.

Then I also have the pocket thing on my waders which I use for my phone, camera, keys, etc. and a stray indicator or whatever else I throw in there. Whenever I wet wade though it can be tough cramming everything in the pack, and sometimes I even bring a smaller pack(Fishpond San Juan I think it's called?) with me to put the camera and other stuff in.

Recently though I've been thinking of getting a bigger pack, like the Simms Pro Waist Pack or the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack. Checked them both out at a shop and liked them. Big enough to carry extra stuff like snacks, a water bottle, extra fly box, etc. but not crazy big.

Wow, I guess I'm not really packing minimally, but compared to using a vest with EVERYTHING in it I am lol.

Come to think of it, the lightest I've ever packed was a small fly box, nippers, and forceps all in my pocket . Done that a bunch of times actually, though mostly on quick trips to a pond or brookie fishin.

I do a lot of fishing in the warmer months so I tossed the vest years ago. I literally no longer own a vest. I bought a cheap chest / sling pack. White River from Bass Pro for $30.

I wear it as a sling pack, its more comfortable and out of the way behind me. I don't know how people can wear vests in summer months. Its small but holds three medium sized boxes, two smaller boxes, a half dozen spools, and just about anything you would put in a vest.

When I really want to travel light I wear my four pocket Columbia fishing shirt, light weight cargo shorts and I carefully select what I want to bring and a selection of fly patterns go in one or two boxes fit in my pockets

I generally uses a waste pack, but if I go minimal, I only take a lanyard with a couple of spools of tippit, nippers, hemos, and a foam fly patch, and a handful of flies stuck in the patch.

Like boychick this time of year I carry lanyard with nippers hemostats floatant small pill bottle with new leader split shot indicators and 4-5-6X spools couple fly boxes in my shirt pockets

I'm a take the whole fly shop type. Been fishing that way from the get go - over 30 years now. I just like to have all of my stuff with me. And it doesn't hinder me in any way.
I really value my time spent on the stream. And want to be prepared for anything I might encounter

If I'm using hip boots, I put a sandwich, sippy drink, extra leader & a mini medical kit (Antiseptic wipes & bandaids) in a fanny pack that I sling over my shoulder.

Then wear a small carpenter's nail pouch tied around my waist. Only has 2 pockets in the front, holds a fly box on 1 side & several tippet spools and needle nose pliers on the other. If you buy a new one, "dust" it with camo spray paint to help with your stealth.

I'm over 60 & have fished heavy since I was a teenager, have never owner a fishing vest.

To me, a critical thing is a big cool bottle of water and some sunflower seeds in the truck to finish off as I drive home.

Man, 90% of my brookie trips I take a spool of 4x, fingernail clippers, 2 extra flies (other than the one I have on...just in case!...), and my camera. Pretty much fits in my pockets.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Man, 90% of my brookie trips I take a spool of 4x, fingernail clippers, 2 extra flies (other than the one I have on...just in case!...), and my camera. Pretty much fits in my pockets.

So, if I'm reading this right - you go into a brookie stream carrying 3 flies TOTAL?
What if you happen to lose or break them off. Or what if the fish decided not to hit any of the 3. Oh well?
My brookie fishing usually involves a drive of at least 1-2 hours. Then a hike in of around another mile or more.
And after all of that effort to get there, I certainly want to have a decent selection of flies to throw at them.

I use a vest and take way too much stuff. It's not bad when fishing big creeks and rivers, but it really isn't necessary when I fish small streams. I recently bought a Simms backpack that I am going to use for small streams. I always need lots of water when I fish so I need something to carry my water bottles. I'm going to try the backpack this weekend. I will only need some attractors, tippet, hemos, and floatant. That should cover it. My back is going to thank me this weekend.

dryflyguy wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:

So, if I'm reading this right - you go into a brookie stream carrying 3 flies TOTAL?
What if you happen to lose or break them off. Or what if the fish decided not to hit any of the 3. Oh well?
My brookie fishing usually involves a drive of at least 1-2 hours. Then a hike in of around another mile or more.
And after all of that effort to get there, I certainly want to have a decent selection of flies to throw at them.

We're talking brookies. When are they NOT hitting a wullf, caddis, or adams?

You gotta know too, 90% of my brookie outings are to local streams that I know well, and can be on in 20 minutes after work. Longer trips, especially to unknown streams, I certainly take more. However, the way my life and schedule is, most times I go fishing I only have time for a few hour stint in the evening after work. I gotta use that time wisely.

Jeeeeeeez, I think I would have to be considered the anti-minimalist! I always have way too much stuff but on the plus side, I never find myself wishing I'd have brought that!

Squatch - I usually manage to turn up some browns in most of the brookie streams I fish

this is what i roll with.

Attachments

• avid5wt.JPG
    avid5wt.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 5
I'm fairly minimalist, though it somewhat depends on how far from the car I'll be, and how exhausting the conditions.

Normally, I have my Richardson, 2 spools of tippet, a wheel of shot, and that's IT. Now, the Richardson holds a crap load of flies, my floatant, nippers, forceps, and 3 leaders.

If it's gonna be a long strenuous day and I'll be away from the car all day long, I carry one of those camo fanny/butt packs meant for hunters. Carries 2 drink bottles and a lunch.

Foxgap239 wrote:
Jeeeeeeez, I think I would have to be considered the anti-minimalist! I always have way too much stuff but on the plus side, I never find myself wishing I'd have brought that!
George, you and I think alot alike LOL, well at least when it comes to the amount of stuff we carry to the stream. I also carry too much but I'm used to it and don't think I will change any time soon.

If I am going out for only a few hours, I take a lanyard (home made - yea, I'm frugal) and an old fanny pack I won at a raffle. Truth be told, this is really all I need anytime I go but if I am going for more then a few hours, I take my vest.

I prefer a vest to a chest pack. If I need fluids then I have a back pack.

Back