mini maglite 2AA LED flashlight

k-bob

k-bob

I try not to need a light on fishing trips, but like this one: the mini maglite 2AA LED flashlight. This is a new 69 lumen one, about $25 at Home Depot.

It weighs 2.5 oz w/o batteries, has four modes (full power, 25% power, flash, SOS flash), and uses a LED not a regular bulb. LEDs are said to be less fragile, have a longer operating life, and extend battery life.

The makers say that regular alkalines, not rechargables or lithiums, should be used. I put the included alkalines in and left it on for 15 hours, switching from full to 25% power every few hours. Was still going strong at 15 hours, so I ended the test.

I like the 25% power mode; it would often be enough and also extend battery life. I can also imagine using the flash mode if I had to walk along a road after dark.

Attachments

• 2aaled.jpg
    2aaled.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 8
I've got two old maglights, still going strong, both maybe 20 years old. maybe they'll offer a retrofit kit to put the leds in the old lights? or maybe I'll just break the bank and spend 25 bucks.

I too prefer to not need light if possible, but sometimes that "last cast" takes an hour longer than expected and I end up in the woods after sunset. In those instances I prefer to have a headlamp--even if a cheap one that clips onto my hat. Frees up my hands for additional casts!

Yes, LED's are taking over the flashlight world. If you get better ones, they're also brighter, in addition to the other advantages (bulbs don't burn out, better battery life, less fragile, etc.). LED's will actually take over the entire lighting world in time. But for now, know that there are cheap LED's out there which are pretty poor as far as brightness and longevity, and good ones that are nice and bright.

And yes, with almost all flashlights (and all low voltage items like remote controllers, etc.), you should use regular alkaline batteries, not lithium, not NiCa, and not the "extra strength" ones they promote for cameras and such. Regular alkalines actually carry more charge. The problem with their use in, for example, cameras, is that a camera requires a high voltage to work, and alkalines slowly diminish in voltage from the start. Hence a camera (as well as many GPS's and other electronics) will show it as dead and cease functioning while upwards of 80-90% of the charge is still remaining. The other types of batteries hold their initial voltage for longer, but then it falls off a cliff fairly suddenly.

Yes, I have college friends who now design LED's, as well as many who design batteries.

I'm impressed by the 15 hour battery life with the 2AA LED mini mag light. I will put new lithium batteries in my gps, and carry a spare set of alkalines as a backup for the gps or to go in the flashlight.

Never had one go bad on me, I've lost them, I carry them in my hunting pack with a headband. Most of the bucks I dropped were at the last light of the day. I always carry one with me when I go out at nite especialy in warm weather when the rattlesnakes and copperheads are out. I carry a flexlight in my vest for tying flies on my leader.

The retrofit kits have been out for a couple if years. Check Lowe's.

Back