Millport Conservancy - Is it worth it?

N

nomad_archer

So I have been fishing the Lower C&R section of Lititz Run and done ok. I have fished the upper section at the Riparian Park and been skunked a few times. So I am wondering is the water within the Conservancy worth the cost of the button? I am already a TU member.

If you're already a TU member, then sure. You'll get the skunk in the Riparian Park all summer 'cause it's essentially a put-and-take fishery there.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
If you're already a TU member, then sure. You'll get the skunk in the Riparian Park all summer 'cause it's essentially a put-and-take fishery there.

Fair enough. The Riparian park is off the list for a while after two skunkings. I may have to mail in for the "button" sometime just to look at some different summer water that isnt too dang warm for trout.

If you are from Brickerville, then investigate Hammer from above Speedwell up to the county line. Likewise, investigate Shearers and its longest unnamed trib.

Mike wrote:
If you are from Brickerville, then investigate Hammer from above Speedwell up to the county line. Likewise, investigate Shearers and its longest unnamed trib.

Do both of these streams remain fishable in the summer? Where is a decent place for access on either of those streams. I know there is access above pumping station but last I was there at pumping station the water temps were 68* and super low and clear so I didn't spend much time exploring.

Hammer creek does get super low in the summer months. I don't really bother with it unless we get a good rain. A temp of 68 degrees suprises me though as it is a spring creek. I usually opt for some of its tribs or wild trout streams nearby.

Shearers access is going to be difficult unless you can get one of the landowners to let you walk through their property. Otherwise you will have to pick a spot on rt 72 and and hike through the game lands until you hit the stream.

HopBack wrote:
Hammer creek does get super low in the summer months. I don't really bother with it unless we get a good rain. A temp of 68 degrees suprises me though as it is a spring creek. I usually opt for some of its tribs or wild trout streams nearby.

Shearers access is going to be difficult unless you can get one of the landowners to let you walk through their property. Otherwise you will have to pick a spot on rt 72 and and hike through the game lands until you hit the stream.

Thanks for the acess info. I was looking at the map of Shearers and access looked challenging. As for hammer, the temp was taken at pumping station and below speedwell mid-day during the last 90* stretch. I was surprised that the upper and lower sections had the same temp. But it was really low. This past Thursday evening on Lititz run was 65* which was much warmer than Monday morning when it was 58*. Both are spring creeks but I guess the hot weather and total lack of rain have been having an impact. Although 65-68 isn't bad they aren't great either. A few more degrees and then there is trouble. I usually don't fish trout if water temps are 68 or above.

Nomad those are streams the local boys (TR, myself) would be glad to show you come cooler weather. But in the summer, try the Conestoga or the Cocalico for Smallies.

Back