Mildew inside waders

J

jrj

I have a bit of mildew inside my waders. I must not have dried these out totally.

Does anyone have suggestions to remove the mildew without using something that will affect their waterproof treatments.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpVAxvO9w-E
http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=268&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1
The youtube video is from Simms.
The second link is a product I've used with good results.
Retreat the outside with Revivex while the waders are still wet.
I generally wash and retreat my waders twice a year, depending on how dirty a water I may have been in. Good Luck, Matt.

Spraying with diluted isopropyl alcohol will kill anything growing in them and take care of the smell too. This is essentially the same mixture used to find leaks in waders. Has worked fine on my Simms waders.

Call the manufacturer and ask them!

Keep in mind there may be a warranty at stake and you may void it or create another problem by doing something one manufacturer recommends and another doesn't.

For example, Simms recommends washing their products in a washing machine however Hodgman & Orvis do not!!

If it was me, I'd try turning them inside out and letting them sun in the sun for a day to start while I made that phone call.

thanks for the suggestions. I have reached out to Dan Bailey (brand of waders) to see what they say. It will be easier to live with a few black spots vs. having to replace leaking waders.

Best practice take off waders, turn them inside out let the inside dry first: then dry the out side.
store them by hanging in an area that is dry and has air flow. Not in a utility area that has gas appliances as the combustion gases will degrade the neoprene.
My waders have stood the test of time, my g-tex waders have lasted 10+ years. Wash them with powder detergent every year and use Revivex set with a hair drier.
Mildew is the enemy don't bunch them up when wet or in storage.
Most of the wader manufactures will not honor their warrantee on mildewed waders.
You have to be pro-active.

Back