Mildew in Waders, best way to get it out?

B

BillyTee

Last Christmas, I received a pair of Simms Freestone Z waders and have absolutely loved them! Unfortunately however, I must have not properly dried them out before storing them (I store all of my fly fishing gear in a crate inside my car). So the inside of the waders got quite a bit of mildew built up

I haven’t fully tested if this has damages the waterproof nature of the waders, but I’m assuming they still work just fine considering they’re on the higher end and mildew shouldn’t exactly affect the waterproof aspect of them (I hope).

What ways do y’all suggest I clean this mildew out without damaging the waders?

I wash my waders with a mild liquid detergent soap. Been doing that for 35 years. I have a pair of Simms G3's I bought in the late 80's, early 90's. there still going strong, but there a little tight on me naw. lol I turn my waders inside out when washing them. I use to do it by hand, but now use the washer on gentle cycle. I even wash the lesser priced waders this way also. I hang them up to dry over a two day period, turning them inside out each day. But for mildew I would hang them in sunlight inside out after washing them.

It is understanding that Simms recommended powder detergent when machine washing their waders. Really don't recall why. I will check their site to see if that changed.

It is understanding that Simms recommended powder detergent when machine washing their waders. Really don't recall why. I will check their site to see if that changed.
Yes, powdered detergent is recommended for washing any waterproof/breathable waders or clothing.

Your both are right, it was my error. I use powder detergent. My mistake. Liquid will soak into the fabrick as it enters the machine, the powder has a chance to desolve in the wash water before hitting the fabrick. Then before drying I spray them down with Revive X.

Hydrogen peroxide sprayed on the infected surface. Let sit and keep damp about 30 minutes. It will also neutralize odors. Don't let it sit too long (hours). It is relatively mild at working strength compared to other mildew killing agents. After treatment, wash as others suggested.

H2O2 is is greatly under appreciated sanitizing/deodorize agent

The liquid detergents have have higher concentrations of grease-dissolving surfactants, which might penetrate the membrane more than powdered detergents. I'm not sure, but they might be harder to rinse out. It is hard to find "pure" laundry soap (powdered), which would probably be better to use than even some modern powders.
don't over do the amount of powdered detergent

Yes, powdered detergent is recommended for washing any waterproof/breathable waders or clothing.
I've seen contradictions to the powder vs liquid detergent when it comes to washing gortex waders.
For outerwear, Gore-Tex recommends warm water and small amount of liquid detergent and to not use powder detergents.
Simms now states to use cold water and normal detergent that does not contain bleach. No more mention of powdered detergent.
What I have found is that it is important to use a mild detergent without softeners, scents and additives that could clog and impair the breathability of the fabric. Harsh detergents and warm water may dissolve the seam tape adhesive. Whatever you use, it is important to thoroughly rinse the wader of any soap residue.
What I use is a residue-free liquid detergent called Sports Wash.

I have used NikWax Tech Wash on my waders and raincoats - however mainly followed by a DWR treatment.

The liquid detergents have have higher concentrations of grease-dissolving surfactants, which might penetrate the membrane more than powdered detergents. I'm not sure, but they might be harder to rinse out. It is hard to find "pure" laundry soap (powdered), which would probably be better to use than even some modern powders.
don't over do the amount of powdered detergent
20 mule team is what you want

20 mule team is what you want
20 Mule Team is sold as a laundry booster similar to OxyClean. It's not a laundry detergent by itself. In other words it isn't soap.

Some old fashioned Ivory Snow or Dreft peddled as detergents safe for babies is still out there as well as Arm & Hammer powdered detergent.

Back