Midges

troutmagnet

troutmagnet

So i come across trout eating midges in the film. I tied, and had about 12 tricos in a size 24, white and black so i cut of the tails and most of the poly yarn, then i put gink on them and they floated very well, but very low at the same time. I picked up i would say......12 or 13 in 2 days sight fishing with midges. I would just watch and find there feeding lane after a few rises and fish em to i got them. I was wondering is there better hooks for midges then tmc 100s? i had them from the tricos, and what patterns can i tie that lay in film? I fished a size 20 silver bodied with a cdc puff on top and couldnt even get a look.... So i am looking for pics of fly or name of specific midge patterns, and what hooks for size 26 and 28....? Thanks

Trout,

Suggest you purchase "Midge Magic" by Koch and Holbrook. I successfully use many of their patterns below surface. You can purchase the Coats and Clark thread at Walmart and craft stores.

Dale

i will be purchasing that book very soon, i actually enjoy midge fishing.

I don't have any pictures at the moment, but a very successful pattern for me is:

Body: stripped peacock
Wing: (tied back over the body) CDC or poly yarn
Hackle is optional. Sometimes I will take 1 turn around the base of the CDC, parachute style.

Very simple and very realistic.

A good parachute midge pattern is also called the Cristo Midge.
Tied like a parachute mayfly (with tails for balance), thread body and a foam post trimmed just above the hackle wraps.

Tiemco sells a hook - model #518 - that is a little better design for small flys. I believe it's made in sizes from #20 down to #32.
Also, partridge sells what they call a vince marinaro midge hook. It's very well designed, but was getting pretty pricey the last time I bought them - which has been at least ten years ago now.

A very simple midge pattern that has worked quite well for me, consists of a small poly or antron wing post, and a body wound of black 8 ott thread

ok......do you find wings straigh up work better or less then over the body.....i understand the midges wings in life go over the back.

I tie mine over the back. Caddis style.

ok....i will give that a shot.....i have fished spinner style with a decant amout of fish but i still get refusals and i still would like to tie some size 26s and 28s.....

I will assure you, you will never get away from that classic "Tulley refusal". Having different styles of flies will catch you more fish if you keep changing it up. Some days certain patterns work and other days they don't. That's flyfishin'! Those trout are extremely proficient at the "refusal". They see a lot of fakes and they practice it all day long, but that makes it even more satisfying when you fool one. Have fun with it, midge fishing opens up year round fishing opportunities.

Thanks, i love fishing midges. It really can be a challenge getting in the feeding lane and getting a good drift. I am looking for more patterns 2 tie. I definitely. Need to tie some als rats.....

The style of midge you created with your trico is my favorite one to fish. A simple spent wing pattern. They work both during a hatch as a cripple and when they get blown onto the water by the wind or fall to lay eggs. I actually prefer the TMC 100's because they have a wider gape which I prefer when I go below 18's. I tie my midges down to 26. It is quite possible your refusals are for other reason's than size. Drag is killer on a midge given that often you are fishing very flat still water. The Marinaro hook is similar to the TMC100. It has a wider gape like the TMC and it also has an offset point. The TMC's are much more available and cheaper as well.

Another simple midge pattern I use is a finely dubbed body with a sparse poly or CDC wind tied elk hair caddis style. Also tied on TMC100.

A good pattern for an emerger type midge is a thinly dubbed body or even one with thread and a short tuft of CDC tied in at the eye of the hook. The CDC will float the body as it suspends slightly under the water or in the film.

The other midge pattern I use is a good old Griffith's gnat.

Keep in mind when you are talking about flies this small you do not need a bunch of flotation built into them. Many people's midges tend to be over dressed with hackle, CDC, foam, etc. First it totally ruins the profile of the fly. Midges are slim and tiny. Keep them that way. Second, it is unnecessary. A size 26 hook will float on its own simple due to surface tension of the water. Don't over do it. They are quick and easy to tie so tie a bunch. If one stops floating just tie on another. I keep my midge patterns limited but in ample supply.

ok, usually the refusal fishes...i would get later on a better drift. I will tie some up then put a few pics up! i am hoping to fish the tully in the minter with midges on top......

MKern wrote:

Body: stripped peacock
Wing: (tied back over the body) CDC or poly yarn
Hackle is optional. Sometimes I will take 1 turn around the base of the CDC, parachute style.

Very simple and very realistic.

Very close to my 2nd best midge pattern except that I tie in a turkey biot by the tip and wind forward.
The CDC is tied in and clipped EH style as Chooch mentions. Less bulk that way.
I tie down to #26 on Daichi 1110 big eye hooks and TMC518 for smaller.
My best midge pattern is a spent wing style fly.

My two favorite midge patterns are the previously mentioned griffith's gnat in sizes #20, #22, #24 & #26. In addition to the "normal" pattern (peacock body / grizzly hackle) I also tie them with a very lightly dubbed cream colored body and barred ginger hackle.

My other favorite midge pattern is the black beauty emerger: http://www.fryingpananglers.com/equipment/Fly%20Photos/displayed%202/Black-Beauty-Emerger.htm

It's a very simple pattern to tie and is very effective. I use it in #22, #24 & #26. You can grease it with floatant and fish it as a dry fly or fish it ungreased just below the surface film as an emerger.

Hope this helps.

Back