Midges...no, *seriously*...midges

Yeah, I caught myself and edited my post after I said "your" knot but you beat me to it. Props to D-Dog for showing you the knot. Now I guess it is your turn to "pass it on down" to the folks at the Newbie jam.

That's a great idea. Kinda like rapid fire tandem rig shotgunning for trout!

dc410 wrote:
Yeah, I caught myself and edited my post after I said "your" knot but you beat me to it. Props to D-Dog for showing you the knot. Now I guess it is your turn to "pass it on down" to the folks at the Newbie jam.

I think D-Dog would tell you that "teaching" me that knot was more like getting his son to shallow awful tasting medicine. Eventually it was good for me but I went kicking and screaming. I, too, edited my post to add my tippet spool idea. Won't win any idea of the year honors but it works well for me.

I definitely catch more fish on midges fished subsurface, but not as a dropper (not that droppers don't work, I'm just too lazy to set them up). On the cast I'll give a little extra tug on the line at the very end of the cast which makes the fly land just hard enough to punch through the surface film. Sometimes that extra "umph" can spook them so I aim about 10 ft upstream of the fish. Immediately throw a huge mend and by the time it gets to the fish the fly is a few inches under the surface and they barely have to move. Helps if you can see the fish take it, but often they don't try to spit these tiny flies and you don't realize you have it until you lift up to cast again.

Are you kidding me! Over fifty years of fishing and I've never seen that knot before. Where the heck have I been. Love it. Thanks.

Defintitely a great tool to have in the toolbox of knots! While I love using them, I absolutely hate tying on droppers. At least until now...

And this is why I posted the video on this knot.

It's a cool knot to have in your arsenal, and people that won't be attending the Newbie Jam should be able to learn it too.

It's not about "stealing someone's thunder", or taking credit - it's about sharing the knowledge....

Jam attendees: don't even think of bringing a piece of line and showing Foxgap this new knot.

Cool video...I don't use those type of hooks.

Is that what a $50.00 pair of Nippers looks like?

DD, Fox, Ed'
Thanks for the knot. Used it all afternoon yesterday and it's so easy to tie on or replace the dropper, it allowed me change more often when I felt I should.

D-dog showed me that knot last year at the newbie jam. Made my life a hell of a lot easier. Thanks again!

I'm gonna give that knot a try tomorrow when I hit up Utah (provided that the weather holds up - it's getting dicey again). I just ordered a bunch of size 22 - 24 in WD-40 BWO & tan midges, ginny midges, and M&M midge pupas from Orvis.

Earlier this winter I noticed tons of midges on the bottom of the rocks on my local spring stream, the Donegal. I decided to tie my own midge and I put together my own version of the brassie, using red copper wire, peacock hurl and three little pieces of crystal flash. The red was a choice to serve as an attractant, same with the crystal flash--while it simulates the breathing tubes, its also sparkly. The solid copper wire body gives the midge a bit of weight without a bead head. I used size 16 Eagle's Claw nymph/scud hooks since that was all I had handy and frankly its harder for me to tie smaller flies.

It's been a killer pattern for me this winter on several streams. Two weeks ago my brother-in-law and I hit a new spot for us, and ran a rig with a beadhead flashback pheasant tail and the midge as a dropper. I kept nailing brown trout after brown trout on the midge--never on the pheasant tail. Most were 12-14" long but I caught one nice 16" fish. The native brookies in the same stream were all biting only the pheasant tail, even though it was a larger fly (14) and they were smaller fish--6-8" average. My brother-in-law finally switched to the midge and had similar success. I suspect any nice midge pattern would have worked, but it was interesting how specific the fish were in terms of what they wanted to eat.

Oh, and knowing you have a bite is much harder with those tiny midges. The slightest dip of the indicator might be all the notice you'd get. I missed many sets and many bites, and I'm sure some of what I thought was the fly bumping the bottom was actually fish sipping on the midge and spitting it out. They just don't take a midge aggressively, and in the winter that's enhanced since they're just slower in general. Still, there's nothing like seeing a nice big brown with a tiny midge in the lip, in your net.

Jeff

Attachments

• PAFF-02411.jpg
    PAFF-02411.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 2
I made some midges last Saturday and caught a trout on one of them. It was the Krystal Flash (Silver Minnow) on a size 14. with copper wire x22.

Congrats on the catches, boys. It's so strange to see these relatively large organisms exclusively setting up on these tiny, tiny bugs.

Alnitak - nice looking pattern you made up! Clearly it's working well and I would keep a few copies of it in the box at all times.

I have yet to take my new flies out as particularly foul mountain weather snubbed my desire to get into the mountains last weekend. The forecast showed it would perfect until about 2 days out. What was once nice because freezing rain and I'm not about to risk trashing my truck 4 months before I have to tow a trailer in a cross-country move. A few more weeks and this won't even be an issue. Can't wait.

I would say that midge dry/emerger patterns account for over 50% of the trout I've caught in the Northeast and southern Ontario. I usually start fishing with either a midge pattern or a CDC & Elk. I tie my midges on Tiemco size 20 to 24 2XS shrimp/caddis pupae hooks, light wire if I can find them. I use to carry some size 30s and 32s that were tied on the Tiemco hook but my declining vision has brought that to an end.

JerryC: I'm going to give my catch percentage a lot higher for subsurface patterns like (90%). I catch very few on surface flies. I mainly use them as indicators and everyonce in awhile I get lucky.

PennypackFlyer:
It's the opposite with me, but then I'm mostly a dry fly fisherman.
I blame it on growing up throwing poppers and spooks for bass and learning to fly fish by going after panfish. Still I do CMA, most times, by fishing a small to tiny nymph on a dropper under the dry. Don't like using "bobbers" or strike indicators as we call them. I use furled leaders made from tying thread and I do grease them or waterproof them and fish a small nymph with a long leader.

Cool tie Alnitac, congrats.

Back