Middle of the Hole ..

Sounds like a holding lie, not a feeding lie, and if you see them they see you. VC used to have a healthy population of herons, I have not been there in years, and with death from above you would be lucky to get 'em to look at any fly, regardless of presentation. Not a high percentage situation.

Im with Pat, skip it. There are so many spots in VC that are easier to catch fish. Give it a few casts and move on to greener pastures.

Someone beat me to it, dynamite! But I've got a fly I call dynamite.

Don't skip it completely. Fish that hang out in the pool that are activity feeding will be at the tail out and at the head....skip the middle. The fish that hang out there will also move into the riffle above to feed more vigorously.

Fox wrote:

I'm pretty sure I know the pool Stag is referring to. I will say that pool is a b*tch to fish period. This is the pool where I got in hot water on the forum over saying I use that "other" tippet size. This pool is tough for guys with 20 years experience and would be almost impossible for newbies under low and clear water. I do not even try fishing that pool this time of year. PCray says it right, there are many other good pools and wasting time on that one would be exactly that, wasting time.

Now that pool aside, in a similiar situation, I would definitely try a dry dropper. I have been successful with that in that pool too but only when the fish were rising.

Fox abt 1/4 mile upstream from where I saw you and ur sone last week. Right along the paved trail along the bend. Brody was getting a kick out of wearing my polarized glasses and just seeing them all hanging.

dry hopper or small muddler minnow sparsely dressed.

Back