Micro jig box

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

A dark dun Coq de Leon nymph to complete the micro jig box. 60- #18 5/64's & 60- #16 3/32's...
ef59c75f25fbb2549b5685e82323150f_zps512ab644.jpg

0938ba29ff9d34d80102cdbe14fa7653_zps6b748a8c.jpg

The box looks ready to go!

TC

Looking good Jack!

GenCon

Nice flies Jack. :)

Thank you, I've been needing a box dedicated to much lighter flies and finally put it together. I thought jigs would fit the bill for what I wanted this type of fly to do, when they do bump the bottom they're generally easier to get them back off.

I have been thinking of tying some of these smaller nymphs but wonder how to pick which color to fish when you have a big assortment. How do you decide?

You must love to nymph... :-D

Tung beads I presume? Is the whole pattern CDL?

RTM wrote:
I have been thinking of tying some of these smaller nymphs but wonder how to pick which color to fish when you have a big assortment. How do you decide?

You throw tandoms and switch flies a lot until you figure out what is working.

SBecker wrote:
RTM wrote:

You throw tandoms and switch flies a lot until you figure out what is working.
This^^ honestly I don't expect each one to work all the time, but different ones at different times. I'll fish them as Shane has explained throughout the entire year trading constantly to see when and how they work. I do that with all my ties not taking the razor and dropping a particular pattern until it's proven useless.
Wg, that one is all cdl the thorax is the "hairy" part down close to the stem. The lighter colored ones that I tied I had to use dubbing for that. You got it all tungsten.

I tend to gravitate to streams with lots of wild fish. I know that fish are where I am fishing. Once I figure out weight, depth, drift and I don't start picking up fish almost right away, it is game on for the old switch a roo. Maybe ten casts with a tandom. Then switch the top fly. Another ten cast, switch both flies, and just keep going. Additionally, I hardly ever fish alone. The guys I fish with have the same patterns as me or I am providing friends that are less experienced with the flies I use, but different patterns. These factors usually help cut the time in half. Sharing information really helps. Also, don't sit in a run all day. Move move move. Maybe the fish in the stretch you are fishing have been fished over or are just being B's. Just keep it moving.

If we don't start picking up fish then it is just one of those picky days. That we blame on the fish and never us. ;-)

Agreed...

Can jigs be used in FFO waters?

Of course they can. It is still a fly. You know this already and I don't even understand why you asked the question.

I believe Chaz asked that in case there was somebody out there that wasn't sure and didn't want to ask. I know I've heard in more than a couple places that some anglers don't consider them a true "fly", so that kind of conversation goes around a few times and before you know it a jig isn't a something you can use on that type of water. The truth gets diluted enough that people that are new might really not know. As far as I'm concerned it's a fly that rides point up and snags less, which is a great attribute for shallower clear waters.

Lol you give him way to much credit. He would have phrased it differently.

Jack, nice flies as usual.

Thank you Brian

Becker your so smart, you have no idea.

Alright Chaz I looked it up for ya to get the "official" word. It states" fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook" Any thing other than these items is prohibited. Is it the fact that the hook rides point up or the fact it has spin fishing roots that makes you feel it's not a fly? Other than that A 30 or 60 degree bend in the hook at the eye is the only difference really.

Back