Mickey Finn

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I don't use the Mickey Finn pattern much anymore since there are much better minnow patterns out there now to fool trout, but the video demonstrates how to properly use a rotary vise. Worth watching for that reason alone.

This is one of my favorite flies to tie. I've tied so many over the years I considered myself to be an expert at it. This video taught me I still have much to learn. Thank you @afishinado !!

I am assuming the means you have fished them? How do you do with it? I only recall having caught one trout on it. It was a holdover brown on Middle Creek in Lancaster County up in the wooded section in the dead of winter.

One of the first, if not the first fly I learned to tie back in 1964. I caught a heck of a lot of crappie and pickerel on it back in the day. Not too many trout, but then again I haven't fished it much for trout, either.

I am assuming the means you have fished them? How do you do with it? I only recall having caught one trout on it. It was a holdover brown on Middle Creek in Lancaster County up in the wooded section in the dead of winter.
I've caught some stockies and blue gills with them in the past but I rarely fish the Mickey Finn now. I'm at an age where I do more tying than fishing.

I was on a role with stockies one year on the Finn after never having caught one before. When I lost that one, that was it! I need to try it again.

I learned what native Brook trout were on some blue liners in the Michaux State Forest in the mid 80’s while a freshman forestry student at Penn State - Mont Alto campus. Many of those native brookies were caught on a scaled down version of a Mickey Finn. A snapshot of a beautiful wild specimen of PA’s state fish with a Mickey Finn hanging in its jaw is just kind of retro!

Back