Miami, FL

beerbyrnes

beerbyrnes

Anyone have any info on fly fishing in Miami? Looks like Biscayne Bay has the goods but I can't afford a guided trip. I'll be there for a week at the end of the month. Thanks.

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 11
I have a friend down that way. He doesn't fly fish, but if you just want to get on the fish, I'm sure I can get you some locations to fish. PM me if you're interested and I'll get back to you as soon as I can speak with him.

Beer,
There are tons of fishing opportunities around that area however, if you're determined to go after the flats glamor species......yeah, Biscayne Bay would be about the only game around (bonefish really aren't found north of that).
February usually sees Biscayne bones mudding in deeper areas but the winter bite can be good. I've done some DIY fishing without a guide in the Key Biscayne area (helps to have a kayak). The flats in that area are solid and wadeable - if nothing else, you'll have some nice time in salt water and it is possible you could see some bones or permit wading around by yourself....although it's a bit of a long shot.
FWIW: the last time I was there, the beach area seemed to be a popular spot for fellas who like risque bathing - might not be a very "family friendly" area.
February is a good time for barracudas too if the water is cold (ie below about 70 degrees) and bones aren't around. Cudas are a blast but tough on a fly rod - very spooky. A spin rod with a tube lure is a much easier way to have fun with cudas.

Thanks for the info, Fishidiot.

I'm looking to check out Biscayne NP and will get out on the flats for a few hours, just to experience it.

Looking like the canals and lakes will be the best bet to put a hook in something. Peacock Bass would be nice.

PM sent your way FlyGuy.

Biscayne Bay is the place to fish close to Miami, but you will need a boat, there are sharks.

Ended up renting a car for the week, giving me more options. Any information on the keys?

beerbyrnes wrote:
Ended up renting a car for the week, giving me more options. Any information on the keys?

You can get down to Islamorada in a couple hours. If you take the toll road around the west side of Maimi, have a ton of loose change as they really nickel and dime yuh (at least this was true the last time I was there - been a few years).

Fishing opportunities in the Keys are vast and too many to list. I seem to recall you're fishing in winter? Bonefish are likely going to be sparse - cudas will probably be the game on the flats. If you hire a guide he can get you back in the "backcountry" where reds and specks will likely be more dependable. There's a mega store in Islamorada called Worldwide Sportsman that I love to visit. WWS or Florida Keys Outfitters just down the road will have all the updated info and gear you might need. Hope for warm, stable weather. Recent cold fronts really shut down the Keys in winter.

I think Chaz was kidding about sharks. They're all over the Keys (mostly nurse, lemons, bonnets and blacktips) but they're really no threat. I never worried about 'em and enjoy fishing for them. Just be aware that if you catch one, don't try to hoist 'em by the tail salmon style - they can twist around and bite like a snake. However, if you see 'em on the flats, it's usually nothing to worry about as they aren't generally aggresive. What you really do have to be careful of are stingrays if you're wading. Shuffle your feet so you kick 'em rather than stepping and pinning 'em (if you pin one, you will be hating life and your fishing will be over for the rest of the trip - and probably much walking - very serious injury).

Thanks for the info, Fishidiot. I'll be sure to check out Worldwide Sportsman. I'll be leaving Monday for the week, hopefully I'll grace this thread with a fishy photo!

Learn Spanish before going !

I used to live on South Beach when I was 20. I miss it. We still go down every few years but I never fish cuz I'm with the wife.

You MUST go to David's cuban cafe on South Beach. You won't be dissapointed.

If you're in downtown, the Gold Rush is an extremely filthy but fun Gentlemen's establishment.

I'll stop at Davids but I doubt the lady friend will like Gold Rush. Nothing like chasing tail!

Fishidiot wrote:

I think Chaz was kidding about sharks. They're all over the Keys (mostly nurse, lemons, bonnets and blacktips) but they're really no threat. I never worried about 'em and enjoy fishing for them. Just be aware that if you catch one, don't try to hoist 'em by the tail salmon style - they can twist around and bite like a snake. However, if you see 'em on the flats, it's usually nothing to worry about as they aren't generally aggresive. What you really do have to be careful of are stingrays if you're wading. Shuffle your feet so you kick 'em rather than stepping and pinning 'em (if you pin one, you will be hating life and your fishing will be over for the rest of the trip - and probably much walking - very serious injury).
Actually I wasn't kidding, there are sharks and the most dangerous is the Bull Shark, and they have them in spades. While fishing Biscayne Bay and the Fla. Bay I saw them.

Chaz has a phobia of one of these doing this;
and yes that is a bite from that hammerhead.

Attachments

• Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 5
Now that's the coolest tattoo I've ever seen. :lol:

Chaz,
You're certainly right that sharks are prevalent and some are bulls....and yes, they can be dangerous. I've spent a lot of time on the FL flats and in my experience bulls tend to hang out in channels and deeper water but they'll go anywhere (including up freshwater rivers) and I have seen 'em in shallow water. When I've been fishing on the flats wading or from a kayak I don't see many bulls but lemons and nurse sharks are everywhere. If I see a bull or any large shark when wading I do give 'em a wide berth but I see no reason to fear them. Occasionally I'll carefully follow a shark from my kayak. I love to watch their graceful swimming motions. I once had a great hammerhead - just a baby, maybe 7' long - cruise right by me in knee deep water once when I was wading near Islamorada. The full grown hammers are common around bridge channels and will definitely whack a hooked tarpon (this is actually very common) but I have never heard of a hammer deliberately attacking a wading angler in the Keys.

I just don't want to give a newbie the idea that it isn't safe to wade fish in the Keys because of sharks. There's risk in everything. Some folks don't like hiking for brookies due to snakes. I happen to like sharks (and snakes) and don't understand how some folks would allow their fear of these critters to keep 'em from fishing.

nothing ventured nothing gained. But, yes, I plan to be careful.

Planning to stop at a few known places on the way down to Key West and poke around.

Looking to rent a kayak on another day and poke around John Pennekemp State Park.

Looking forward to it!

Cooler temps pushed the fish off the flats. Cloudy skies meant no sight fishing the flats. I did it anyway and got the best skunking of my life. Did not fish the canals, too much other great stuff going on to waste time next time highways.

img_5174.jpg

gopr0716.jpg

Ah Sloppies, gotta go there. GG

Back