Meth Head

Leteras

Leteras

Here is my new fly that I have been catching steelhead in Pennsylvania and big browns in NY on. The blue has been the hot ticket for me. Its a crystal meth with the back half of a stonefly coming off the back. Like it is attached to the egg. Let me know what you guys think. I call them meth heads.

Attachments

• CSC_0084.JPG
    CSC_0084.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 17
  • CSC_0082.JPG
    CSC_0082.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 3
Before reading the post I looked at the blue tie and thought, "That will DESTROY on the tribs in NY." Very innovative.

those'll definitely catch fish. here's another take on it,

http://steelheadalleyflytying.blogspot.com/2008/11/nymph-senyos-steak-eggs.html

What's the Easter grass looking stuff?

Crystal braid. Tie it in like a sucker spawn and you get a crystal meth. Very effective.

Especially in the DARK blue. People often cite studies of trouts loving blue however they never clarify that it is dark blue.

Letaras you should put some details on materials, tying method etc up with your post.

I agree. I'm going to swing this fly all weekend, and nothing else. I'll post some sweet hero shots on Monday.

jdad, the closer you get to periwinkle the better, IMHO everyone should DIAGF.

This isn't how Leteras threads go. ?!?

Anyways, I look at this thing and I'm baffled and offended. It offends my sensibilities not because its a bad fly, I mean WTH do I know, but because its just inane things lashed to a hook and it hurts me.

It also reinforces my idea that steelbow are the dumbest fish on the planet, as dumb as any stocker yet tubbed up on whatever it is they eat in the lake.

Man, this fly. It. It saddens me.

This actual fly shop branded braid or are you buying the same stuff out of the craft store's plastic canvas section? I've never seen blue that blue in the fly shop, but I've never really looked either.

oh and the back background is probably not the best for demonstrating colors and whatnot. lot of guys use light blue.

Neat fly for sure, I think you could make it better if you tied it on a tmc 200r or something similar. Either way nice.

Actually your normal fly shop usually dosen't carry that blue color you usually have to order it or dye it yourself. I dye a lot of pearl diamond braid to get the colors I want. I usually place an order through hareline and get 8 ounces of the pearl and dye my own.

What is the red? Is that just thread? Please specify brand. It looks a little larger then normal tying thread. and is the rear of the fly jelly rope? Only thing that I do not like about this tie is the 3 or four different colors used. Most insects or eggs have just 1 or two color patterns. Then again, we are talking about chromadome flies, so I am sure they will work great. Think you need to post some pictures of the large browns you caught in Oak Orchard. I want to head there really bad.

Leteras wrote:
Actually your normal fly shop usually dosen't carry that blue color you usually have to order it or dye it yourself. I dye a lot of pearl diamond braid to get the colors I want. I usually place an order through hareline and get 8 ounces of the pearl and dye my own.

I have some, and I sure as hell didn't dye or order it special. Wish I remembered where I got it now. I suspect all seasons.

My buddy has them on his camera I just need him to send me the pics and I will post them.

They have like 2 bags at the orvis shop near me but they don't carry much of that color its not a hot seller for them. But I'll take all I can get of it. Lol

Do us a favor post a how to video of that bad boy. Try not to be so mono tone though, fly tying videos are boring enough try to be exciting.

Sbecker you can use any red thread you want for it. Back is jelly rope. It makes a nice segmented body.

I plan on posting some videos I just need to get my brother to take the footage for me. That is a feat in itself. I have only been asking him all year to make some videos. Lol

Jdaddy,
thats why the blue goo is a killer pattern in NY,guys learned this from the Spawn sack guys an centerpin guys.deadly color for steelies

Back