Merle Spangle RIP

JF_

JF_

Merle passed away this morning.

He was a friend of PA Flyfish and many individuals on here. He would travel from Indiana to attend the Jams.

As some here know, he is affectionately known for coining the Penns Creek access as “Ingleberry”.

I never had the opportunity to meet Merle, but my sympathy goes out to Merle’s family as well as you John and all the rest of the long time PA Flyfish jammers.

Such a peach of a man. Be easy dude.

Me and Merle and some others went to the Smokies. Abrahms Creek is not easy to wade. I picked him up 3 or 4 times before he gave up and fished from the shore.

I laughed to myself.

JF_ wrote:
Merle passed away this morning.

He was a friend of PA Flyfish and many individuals on here. He would travel from Indiana to attend the Jams.

As some here know, he is affectionately known for coining the Penns Creek access as “Ingleberry”.

In addition to Ingleberry he also coined “Paddy Poe”. TimB and I were cruising Penns Creek Road and saw the Indiana plates. When we stopped We met Merle for the first time. He and Warren asked how to get to Paddy Poe. We chuckled and then told him.

Merle was closest with PaulG from the board. A couple times He extended the invitation to me to stay in his pop up camper. This led to several fishing excursions at the jam where I spent the day with Merle. We had our differences but he was a kind man that seemed to enjoy it that way. I enjoyed mentoring him as did Padraic.

Thinking back, there were several heated exchanges about the route to a new creek for him. He never believed me. But he seemed to like it that way. LOL. Once on the way to Cedar Run I told him Slate was below Cedar but he didnt believe me. When we arrived at “his” Cedar Run I told him maybe he should have the store owner change the. name from Slate Run Tackle to Cedar Run. Boy that set him off. LOL. I drove his truck thee rest of the weekend.

Yeah we got along fine after that.

He came to PA other than the Jam too to fish the Yellow Breeches and clarks and Muddy Creek. Paul and I did our best to get him on fish.

Rest in Peace Merle the Pearl! I am proud to have known ya.

Back