Mentored Youth Day Facts (from angler surveys, field contacts)

Followed the instructions and the permit doesn't show up as an option. Guess they won't get my $10.

Did you enter your childrens' SSNs? I feel like I ran into a similar situation last year and was because I assumed the option would show up for me. They did not want to go this year.

I agree with those who think this is a great program. I go out on youth day to observe and to try to get a few photos. I have heard of some abuses of this program, but I can truly say that I have not personally seen any. In fact, I often observe mentors who are not fishing and are really concentrating on making the day a good one for the kid(s) they are mentoring.

I hope tomorrow's local weather is tolerable so that the kids can have fun on the water with their mentors.

Congrats to the PFBC for this program.

Wow, I am blessed with a beautiful granddaughter who is only 6 months old. I can't wait for the day I can take her Trout fishing. I'm a 66 year old with a bad heart who might not have a lot of time to spend with her. To tell me I couldn't take her fishing on a special day because a few slobs caught a few Trout is insane.

On behalf of the PFBC, thank you for all of the kudos. I am happy to see that the program has been so well-received by so many. Hope today works out well for all of those who choose to venture out and if the cool morning temps are a concern, remember that fishing is allowed in the afternoon as well.

Tip: Streams that flow through hollows are often good places to get out of the wind, which may help in keeping youngsters interested.

Went out for a while to observe. Was 26 degrees at 8:00, so there were only a few hardy fishermen out there. Watched one son catch a couple of nice rainbows in one spot. His dad didn't even have a rod so he could concentrate on his son -- as it ought to be.

Surprisingly to me, Canoe Lake, a popular spot, was pretty much deserted. Probably b/c of the cold and wind.

Even so, those who were out seemed to be enjoying themselves, despite the horrid cold.

I sincerely believe this is one of the PFBC's real winners, and I hope the commission maintains the program indefinitely.

Back