Medalists

The little guy 1492 is my favorite so far. Having fun!

Bamboozle and Tups Thanks for the encouragement on the Medalists. Tonight I fished a 1495 and a 1492 from my boat. They are very different but both are wonderful. Unfortunately I've had my forum privileges revoked on the other site. Shame.
Bam The last question you asked me on that site...... does it matter if the Pawl is brass or steel? These reels, though non-glamorous, are wonderful. Now, clean, they are smooth.

I’m going to have to pull out all my old medalists and see what I have in total I use 1492 on a 6’3” 4wt.

Joe. E

Baron wrote:
Bam The last question you asked me on that site...... does it matter if the Pawl is brass or steel?
I asked because when you mentioned the pawl being stuck, the first thing that came to MY mind was a small diameter (maybe 3/16" to 1/4") cylindrical, axially magnetized Neodymium magnet.

If nothing else, would have been attracted to the spring if the pawl isn't steel and probably pulled it right out.

BTW - If you ever need just about any size magnet imaginable, look no further than K&J Magnetics in Pipersville, PA. I have made more gadgets and solved more problems than I can mention using their magnets.

Bamboozle,
Pipersville is right down the river. I'd like to invent a way to use a magnet to intercept springs. I have 10 reels that have latch covers with springs in them. I've "Bulldog cleaned" 5 and have temporarily lost the springs twice. Removing these in a box with one of these magnets close could perhaps save the day.

JoeE,
I'd love to hear what line you are using on that 1492. 4Wt DT had been put forward on another site and I'd like to hear your preferences.

Tups wrote:
Baron. I know you are aware of the Fiberglass Fly Rodder website, so I would suggest you spend some more time there reading their classic reel forum. There you will find a wealth Of info about the Medalists and the Martins and a pile of other classic brands. Besides owning and fishing a couple of classics, most of what I know about these great old reels I learned there, and a few other sites.

How did you make out with that Martin 65?

Baron. Just saw your question. I posted a few pics over at FFR in the Click Pawl Reels thread. I never have any luck posting pics here. I wish they could improve that function somehow. The Martin 65 cleaned up very nice with just toothpaste and a toothbrush. It’s in very good to excellent condition. Practically new, though probably built in 1970s. I just spooled it up with 100 yds 20 pound backing and a WF 5F. Still has more capacity. Haven’t fished it yet. It is a fixed check caliper clicker with on/off button. The drag gear is very small diameter so it’s not going to stop a really big fish but should be fine for most PA trout. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

Wow, sounds like a great investment. It holds a good deal of line.
Today I spooled a medalist with what looked like a 5wt. It came on an Orvis reel that I bought used. Only about 50’ of backing fit under that. While I’ll never test it I was surprised how little line the 1494 holds.

Medalist Line Capacity can be ambiguous for Medalists but here is a helpful file from P-foot:

Attachments

• Medalists Line Capacity.jpg
    Medalists Line Capacity.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 3
for salt do with the anti-reverse medalist

Attachments

• 11-22-09 089.jpg
    11-22-09 089.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2
What are they?
Could you explain them Sandfly?
Kind of cool looking.

Whenever I'm looking for medalist info, I start by going to EBAY, and searching for "pflueger medalist". Once the results come back, sort them by price from HIGH to LOW.

There's a listing for a pfluger medalist with an asking price of ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Literally. I wouldn't buy it at that price but that listing's description is a written history of the medalists.

Good info and worth the (ahem) free cost to browse it.

Jeffroey, Two weeks ago I won a 1492 on Ebay, among many others, and I found I really like it. I also use a 1495 now and a 1494. But in a perfect world (its not) I really like the 1492 on a lite rod. I found the $1,000,000 Reel and enjoyed it.

Sandfly there is a 577 on eBay right now.

Back