Medalist reels

beadhead2

beadhead2

Came across this this morning ,interesting
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Anglers_Guide_to_Pflueger_Medalist.htm
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Guide_to_Pflueger_Medalist_Part_2.htm
Enjoy

Do you or Lou know which model sold at the BCTU auction?

I haven't seen this set of articles before, but I've used the FAOL article to help ID ebay wins for quite sometime now.

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/oldflies/part287.php

Thanks for posting this. I have started a small collection of these reels recently and really like them. It is very cool to catch a fish on a reel that is older than you.

No one ever post about the anti-reverse models. I need one more for my collection

Someone sniped one out from under me on ebay awhile back. 1498 with someone's multiplier kit on it. I wanted it bad.

Thats not a anti reverse GFEM just a multiplier. a anti reverse you don't have to let go of the handle when a fish runs. medalist made 3 of them.

Gee -wish I could remember where I threw my medalists,perinnes[sp],hardys,they were so,like old,out dated.Do remember where I threw the multiplier-in the middle of the yellowstone river,in the heart of Paradise valley.

Thought multipliers included AR, too?

(pauses to search, read)

Oh, wait,t hat one. I've chased more than one of those, too. I've read they were SW usuable. I don't feel being burned on missing those like I did the multiplier, though.

Oh well, there'll always be more chances in the future.

you'll be bidding against me there GFENNIE...lol

Dear sandfly,

So you're the guy that has been beating me on the Supremes the last 5 years?

Do you have any historical data on the Supreme A/R reels that you would care to share? I'd like to find one for an 8 or 9 weight set-up and the most common one that I see is the 577. Will that work for me?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim,
I have the 578 and the 1599cj so far and would like to get the 577 to. They are made for 8 and 9wts. the 1599cj can be used as a standard or anti-reverse just made for larger lines, holds 300yds of 30 lb backing the other 2 hold;

The Pflueger owner's manual gives the capacity in weird figures:
577 - 250 yards 15-lb. Supreme Monofilament backing with 30 yards Supreme Fly Line. 578 - 350 yards 15-lb. Supreme Monofilament backing with 40 yards Supreme Fly Line. uh, right. I have no idea how to convert from #15 mono to #20 dacron OR what fly line Pflueger was using.

So I went to the source of ALL knowledge when it comes to saltwater fly tackle, Fly Fishing in Salt Water by Lefty Kreh (1974). As usual, Lefty comes through:
577 - 280 yards of #20 dacron with a SWT-9F line.

I use 300 yds of 20 on the 578.

Attachments

• 11-22-09 089.jpg
    11-22-09 089.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 4
Dear Sandfly,

Good luck finding a 577, that certainly sounds like the right sized one for me.

I think a lot of Pflueger capacity charts use weird figures or seem a little bit off due to the fact that they based their capacities on silk or woven nylon fly line and not modern fly lines.

A 1494 is the same overall diameter as every other 5/6 weight standard arbor fly reel on Earth but it has about half the capacity. Part of that is due to the larger overall arbor diameter but I have found that if I use Cortland Sylk fly lines I can come pretty dang close to getting the recommended amount of backing and fly line on one. I can't get anywhere near capacity with a "standard" modern fly line and backing.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I'm looking to pick up a medalist for my 9' 5wt rod, which do you guys recommend. I was looking at the 1494 but I'm worried all my line won't fit.

The 1494 1/2 might be better. THe 1/2 models are wider than the ohters, some people like that and some people do not. A 1500 series (now) means it has a palming rim ont he spool. This'll add an extra chunk of weight.

I think the 1495 is the nicest size, though. I'd prefer the narrower spool to the wider one.

http://classicflyfisherman.com/pages_misc_reels/pflueger/supreme578/supreme578.html

578 for sale.

Back